Arms Too Thick for Arm Lift?

Is it ever possible that there is too much soft tissue for am Arm Lift? There is quite a bit of sagging from an 80lb weight loss, but the PS I met with was hesitant to do the lift. I can't find any info on what would disqaulify you for an arm lift. Her concerns are damage to the lymp system and nerve damage. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Armlift arm reduction brachioplasty arm liposuction massive weight loss excess skin

+1
The short answer is "no". Whatever your arm size, is it can be reduced. Typically, after massive weight loss, an arm lift or more accurately,  an arm reduction procedure is usually covered by your insurance. The procedure is also called a brachioplasty. The procedure usually takes 2 to 3 hours under general anesthesia. I believe your best results are achieved by performing arm liposuction and the arm reduction at the same time.  Postoperatively, arm compression is important to minimize swelling and flatten scars.  The only reason I can imagine your plastic surgeon may have thought twice is perhaps if you had breast cancer surgery.  During this procedure, armpit or axillary lymph nodes are removed. This may make an arm reduction or brachioplasty a little more risky; however, it does not mean you cannot have an arm reduction.  I would make sure you find a plastic surgeon who is experienced in massive weight loss patients. I would also be sure to see many "before and after" pictures of arm reductions or brachioplasties in massive weight loss patients. I hope this information helps. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

Am I a Candidate for an Arm Lift?

+1

- Many patients are left with a considerable amount of excess skin of the upper arms after losing weight.  Sometimes, in addition to the excess skin, patients are also left with excess fat as well.

-In cases where I observe that a generous amount of fat remans in the arms, I will perform liposuction of the arms at the same time as the arm lift (brachioplasty) procedure.  This allows me to improve the arm contour to a greater degree.  Alternatively, in cases where little subcutaneous fat remains, I will not add the liposuction procedure.

- As far as damage to lymphatics and nerves that are problemetic for patients long-term, I have found this to be rare.

-Definitely find a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to evaluate your arms.

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Arms Too Thick for Arm Lift?

+1

A photo would help!

I am not sure what the surgeon meant. Usually with this amount of weight loss and the request that you have there is plenty of lax skin. If not however, liposuction can often be done either as the first of a two stage operation, or at  the same setting.  Seeing another consultant would make the most sense.

Thanks and best wishes.

Arm lift after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  After losing a significant amount of weight, the upper arms can become loose and saggy.  Sometimes, the upper arm skin is very thin with no fat. Other times, it is loose but still has a significant amount of fat. When the upper arm contains fat, an upper arm lift can safely be combined with liposuction to:

1) remove fat and make the arms thinner, and 2) tighten the upper arm skin.  

Like any other surgical procedure, there are potential risks with this surgery.  That is why you should visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a detailed conversation about your situation before deciding what is best for you.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Arms too thick for brachioplasty?

+1

There are several ways to complete a brachioplasty procedure. If liposuction is not used along with the removal of the excess skin, then the results will be significantly limited when excessive fatty tissue remains in the arms. The good thing is that liposuction can be aggressively performed on the arms with safe and effective results as a part of the brachioplasty surgery. I use liposuction on all of my patients whether they have heavy arms or not to make sure that the skin can be easily removed from the underlying tissue in an effective way. There are always risks with any surgery, and injury to the lymphatic system is one of them with brachioplasty. The risk, however, is very low if the procedure is done carefully and heavy arm tissue should not necessarily increase your risk of this happening. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift (brachioplasty)

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.

I'm unsure why you might be considered unsuitable for an arm lift and would suggest that you seek a second opinion. There is always a risk of damage to the lymphatic system and nerves with an arm lift, although this risk is usually less of a concern to patients than the scars that are associated with this surgery.

If you still have more soft (fatty) tissue in your upper arms than is desirable then this can be reduced with liposuction at the time of a brachioplasty. It is important that you discuss the placement of your scars in detail with your surgeon, so that these can be placed in the best position for you based on your usual activities and clothing.

Good luck!

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift Candidate?

+1

You should be very proud of your significant weight loss;  unfortunately, patients who have lost this much weight tend to have “loose skin”  that is a constant reminder of where they have been. If you are not at your long-term stable weight, it would be best for you to achieve this way prior to undergoing arm lifting surgery.

Arm lifting is an great procedure to improve the contour of the arms and remove  redundant skin and adipose tissue;  the downside is a relatively high rate of unsatisfactory scarring and the need for revisionary surgery.

It may behoove you to visit with  additional well experienced  board certified plastic surgeons.

Arm Lift and Lipo

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss, you should be very proud.  Improving arms is a common area focus of many weight loss patients.  Many not only have excess skin, but may have a considerable amount of remaining diet resistant fat.  Thorough liposuction of the upper arms at the time of the brachioplasty (arm lift) is most often needed.  Certainly, if your surgeon is not comfortable addressing this area, it is reasonable to consider a second opinion.  lhc

Lee H. Colony, MD
Lansing Plastic Surgeon