Arm Liposuction After Massive Weight Loss?

I have lost approximately 155lbs via Gastric bypass surgery. I still have about 60 pounds to lose. I have always had larger arms but I have not really lost any weight off my arms and I don't think I have much extra skin, just still have a lot of fat. Rolls of fat.

I am going to have a panniculectomy and Tummy Tuck and am now thinking of getting arm Liposuction at the same time (to reduce anesthesia costs for one thing). Based on my photo. Do you think I am a good candidate?

After large weight loss, skin will not shrink - it needs to be removed surgically

+2

First, congratulations on your weight loss. I suggest you lose all the weight you expect to lose before having any of these procedures. Once your weight has stabilized, then continue with body contouring.

For you midsection, given the large weight loss you've experienced, I would expect you would get the best result with a body lift. Tummy tuck often leaves loose skin over the hips and lower back that can look odd if the abdominal skin is tight. If you are having a tummy tuck, you shouldn't need a panniculectomy since this does the same this (removes loose lower abdominal skin).

You have loose skin in your arms now. Liposuction will not address this. It will make your arms thinner but the skin will still hang down as it is doing now. If this is what you are looking for, then liposuction is fine. However, for the best result, you need an arm lift or brachioplasty. Good luck!

Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs. brachioplasty

+2

You will require liposuction and a brachioplasty (arm lift) to achieve your best result.

I would not opt for liposuction alone by any technique,or the skin will hang considerably.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Arm Liposuction After Weight Loss

+2

Congrats on your hard work ! Liposuction will remove the fat in your arm, but do nothing to get rid of the excess skin, which is really the cause of your arm sagging.

Unlike fat, the skin unfortunately does not return to the way it was after you lose your weight, making surgery necessary in most cases.

There are photos on my profile of arm lifts you may find helpful in deciding if this is the right course for you.

You should probably wait until your weight loss of complete and you are at a stable weight before contemplating this surgery. You will have better, and more predicatble results that way.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Arm Lift Probably Better

+1
Based on the information you've provided, you'll probably need an arm lift rather than liposuction. This is because if you remove a lot of fat in your upper arms with liposuction alone, you'll have loose skin that may not be able to retract to your leaner contour. This loose skin will make the results of your liposuction hard to see. An arm lift will remove the excess fat and skin to give you a better result.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1

Yes and no. First of all, congratulations on your weight loss. That is a great accomplishment. The most important thing before embarking upon reconstructive plastic surgery after massive weight loss is that your weight has to be stable. Typically after a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass or gastric sleeve, weight stabilization is achieved at approximately one year. Lap band patients  take longer. Once your weight has stabilized for approximately 3 months, then I would suggest embarking upon reconstructive plastic surgery. Often insurance covers the reconstructive  plastic surgery After massive weight loss. In regards to your arms,  I would suggest anticipate that you will probably need an arm lift or brachioplasty.  Performing liposuction now would remove fat  from the arms; however,  I would anticipate a second surgery need to be done on your arms to remove excess skin.  I do not think even aggressive liposuction of your arms will lead to a great results. Unfortunately, you just have too much excess skin. However, if the liposuction is being done as a staged procedure, then liposuction at this would be a good idea.  Arm liposuction followed by a formal arm lift or brachioplasty often leads to the best arm lift results. Good luck with your plastic surgery and be sure you find board-certified plastic surgeon with a significant amount of experience with massive weight loss patients. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Liposuction of Arms after Massive Weight Loss

+1

Thank you for the question.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  I think you have an excellent plan to be at a stable weight prior to surgery.

No you are not a candidate for liposuction of the arms (as an independent procedure). Liposuction may be  useful in combination with arm lifting (brachioplasty) surgery.

Please make sure you are obtaining advice from a port certified plastic surgeon.

Liposuction vs arm skin removal after massive weight loss

+1

First, congratulations on losing 155 pounds...that is equivalent to 558,000 lost calories!

Looking at your arms, it looks like the skin quality is loose. If one liposuctions an area where the quality of skin is poor, the skin will actually drop MORE. In other words, the fat is holding the loose skin to some degree and losing the fat will cause more drop.

My recommendation is to lose the additional weight and then have a brachioplasty performed. You will achieve a much better result that way.

Good luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Arm liposuction after massive weight loss

+1

Your photograph demonstrates residual fatty deposits and some component of inelastic skin. Liposuction alone can reduce the fat volume and there will be contraction of the skin to a slight extent, but not enough, in all liklihood, to make you satisfied. Non-invasive tightening procedures such as Thermage would probably not add any significant effect after liposuction, and you will probably need an arm lift as well, and could be done after the liposuction. I would suggest seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in consulation who has great experience in both liposuction and brachioplasty.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Massive weight loss consequences

+1

Congratulations.

A couple of things. You do have a lot of excess skin left, and when you lose the rest of the weight you will see it for sure. You will need a brachioplasty.

Next, as above, lose all of your weight before this surgery, or your results will suffer, plus you will be healthier.

Finally, why get a panniculectomy AND a tummy tuck? I think you would likely be a candidate for the tummy tuck if not a 360 body lift. In any event, you may also have a debulking liposucion of the arms at the same time, and if I was wrong about the arms, you can save yourself a brachioplasty operation. I don't think I am wrong however.

Best of luck.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Arm liposuction for massive weight loss

+1

For a person that has lost 150 lbs after gastric bypass, you certainly are a better candidate for a brachioplasty than an arm liposuction procedure because of the loose skin..