Arm Liposuction or Brachioplasty? (photo)

I am a 26 year old, 5'10, 148 lb female. I tend to stay at this weight, fluctuating anywhere between 140 and 150. I may get pregnant in the future. I have a swimmers body and my arms make me look larger than I am. I enjoy lifting weights and cardio, but no matter how toned my arms get or how much weight I lose, the arms are still big. I have good skin, I do not want scars, but I would like to make my arms more attractive. Any suggestions for appropriate procedures for me?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Liposuction of the Arms Effective in Young Patients

+1

Thank you for your question and photo.  Given your age and good skin quality, you are an excellent candidate for Laser or Vaser Liposuction. Both procedures heat up the collagen and skin giving a bit more skin tightening in addition to removing the excess fat.  This procedure should work very well without the need for an armlift!  Good luck!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction versus brachioplasty

+2

Not wanting scars and not having loose extra skin makes brachioplasty not a good option for you. While brachioplasty removes extra skin, liposuction removes extra fat under the skin in a specific area. You do not have an unusually large amount of fat at the bottom of your arms, so you will not get a dramatic improvement from liposuction. You will have a noticeable improvement, but not a dramatic improvement.

Liposuction is a great tool for reshaping your body. You are already doing an even better thing for reshaping a body - cardio and weights. You can adjust your workout to reshape your arms. Having a swimmers body must mean you have large latissimus dorsi  muscles which contribute to large arms. The latissimus dorsi muscle is the large triangular shaped back muscle which extends into the arm. A well-developed latissimus will also make your arm big. Cut back on the latissimus exercises (pull-ups, chin-ups, rows, lat machines...) for a couple months and see if you notice a difference. Replace the time you spend not working your lats with extra cardio time.

Also cut back on triceps exercises which increase the size of the bottom of the arms. Replace them with more biceps exercises (and cardio) which will develop the top of the arm and pull up the skin on the bottom.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Vs. Brachioplasty For Arm Contour: Pros & Cons

+1
                          When patients present with large full arms without loose skin, liposuction is an excellent treatment option. This approach minimizes scarring and results in excellent upper arm contour improvement. Unfortunately, when loose skin is present, liposuction alone doesn’t provide adequate treatment and an arm lift is usually indicated.

Your pictures suggest localized fat collections in the upper arm with relatively tight skin. Under these circumstances, you would be an excellent candidate for liposuction alone. If loose skin develops following this procedure, an arm lift could be performed as a secondary procedure.

It’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon will formulate a treatment plan for your unique anatomic deformity. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift versus Liposuction

+1
When considering the aesthetics of the arm, you have to consider the amount of excess skin and excess fatty tissue. Liposuction can address the excess fatty tissue, however it will have minimal impact on the elasticity of the skin. If you have a very tight skin surrounding your arm, then liposuction would be appropriate. If you feel like there is some laxity of the skin itself than an arm lift may be needed to achieve the desired results.
There are variations of arm lifts.   The scar can go up and down the arm, or it can be hidden in the armpit itself.  In general, the longer the scar the more skin tightening you can get.

I would visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can go over your options in person. It'll also give you a better sense of what the trade-offs of skin tightening versus scars. 

Arm contouring

+1

based on your photo, it does not appear you have loose skin.  therefore, i would suggest you consider arm lipo.  talk to a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options

Arm contouring options

+1

Not wanting scars on your arms makes you a poor candidate for an arm lift/brachioplasty. Rather, I would visit with a board certified PS in your area to learn more about liposuction contouring of your arms.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Liposuction vs Armlift or Both - Many factors to consider

+1

Thanks for submitting you photo. Although an exam would also be required for the best opinion, I would opt for just liposuction and see how things go. As you are young you should have some significant skin retraction which will be helped by wearing an elastic garment postoperatively. You will definitely get significant improvement. If for any reasons you still want further refinement then I would wait until you are through with having children and then seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/body/arm-lift/

"Liposuction is a good possibility..."

+1

Dear Fredri223.  It is very difficult to answer your question without a thorough and focused examination of your arms.  As long as there is not much looseness or many stretch marks on your arms, you should respond well to liposuction only, especially modalities with capacity to tighten the skin as well (i.e. ultrasonic liposuction).  If the looseness is minimal, then a small hidden scar in the armpit can also be added in addition to liposuction in order to minimize any possible post-operative laxity.  Best Wishes

Arm liposuction or brachioplasty

+1

Arm liposuction or Brachioplasty: based on the photo and your age and weight, it appears that you are a good candidate for liposuction alone of the triceps area. This can often be done in an office setting under sedation with local anesthesia. Usually involves a small incision in the elbow area. I think because you are young, the skin will retract and you will get a nice result. If the skin does get loose down the road, you can always do brachioplasty and you burn no bridges. I hope this helps you!

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or Arm Lift

+1

Young thin people with good skin and localized lipodystrophy are good candidates for liposuction alone.