Arm Lift or Vaser Lipo Surgery on my Arms? (photo)

I am only 29 and im hoping to do something with the size of my arms. I have been told by 4 out of 5 surgeons that i would be a good candidate for lipo of the upper arm, but one has said arm lift. I really dont want that horrible scar running down my arm, and so now im confused.

Arm contouring options

+1

A brachioplasty is essentially an upper arm lift. In this procedure, the excess hanging skin and fat in the upper arm is removed. Its the procedure used to correct the common "bat wing" of skin that manifests in patients who have lost a significant amount of weight.  Based on your photo alone, I do not this you warrant an arm lift.  Rather, I'd explore liposuction for you to achieve your goals without the scar. Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Vaser Liposuction

+1

My patients have experienced excellent results from Vaser liposuction. Please locate a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with experience with this procedure. Best of luck! 

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I am only 29 and im hoping to do something with the size of my arms.

+1
Based on the pictures you provided and NOT having performed a thorough physical examination, I do NOT think you would be a good candidate for VASER arm liposuction.  I have performed many VASER arm liposuction procedures.    VASER arm liposuction works best on patients with localized arm fat.  However, I believe after VASER arm liposuction, you would have significant skin redundancy.  I do NOT think your skin would recoil or shrink wrap around your arm.  Because of your skin's loss of recoil, I believe you would be left with sheets of excess skin.  It is because of your skin's inability to contract and the amount of liposuction that needs to be performed,  that I would suggest a brachioplasty or arm lift/reduction.  In conclusion, there is "no harm" in first performing VASER arm liposuction; however, later you may require an arm lift/reduction.   Good luck with your surgery.  

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Liposuction Option

+1

Thank you for your pictures.  I agree the liposuction would be more appropriate for you because of the fullness of your arm due to fat and the fact that you are young and your skin should shrink back.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Good candidate for liposuction only of the upper arms.

+1

You would appear to be a good candidate for liposuction only of your upper arms.  As long as you can pinch about 4 cm of fat along the back of your arms, you have good skin elasticity and there is not greater than 50% of your arm below the groove between the biceps and triceps you are a good candidate.  Any form of  liposuction will be beneficial.  

Arm Lift or Vaser Lipo Surgery on my Arms?

+1

Very borderline on either option. Best if only IN PERSON evaluations done. My guess is excision better than lipo but there will be a scar 

Risk rewards to arm liposuction

+1

Arm liposuction can be quite successful for many patients but there are risk/rewards.  If very aggressive the arms may become too loose and then you will need an arm lift.  On the other hand, going in to have liposuction and not being too aggressive could possibly give a reasonable result without requiring an arm lift. But it is a tough call.  Need to be seen in person.  Good luck.

Liposuction of arms vs arm lift

+1

Arm lift leaves behind noticeable scars.  It is better to accept partial improvement with liposuction for condition seen in your photographs.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Arm Lift Versus Liposuction

+1

Dear bollywood,

Contouring of the upper arms can be performed via liposuction alone, liposuction with a short-scar arm lift, or a full arm lift.

1. Liposuction alone:

Liposuction alone is best suited for patients with extra deposits of fat and minimal to no skin laxity.

Liposuction alone may be performed for patients with extra deposits of fat and mild to moderate skin laxity if the tradeoff of having some residual skin laxity (and possible future need for arm lift) in exchange for reduced scarring is preferable.

With respect to the type of liposuction, the skill and experience of the liposuction surgeon is most important. A skilled liposuction surgeon can obtain excellent results with suction assisted liposuction (liposuction, tumescent liposuction, liposculpture, etc.), laser assisted liposuction (eg. ProLipo, Smartlipo, etc.), ultrasound assisted liposuction (eg. Vaser). If there are concerns about loose skin, an energy based liposuction technology such as laser assisted liposuction (ProLipo, Smartlipo, etc.) *may* help with skin tightening.

2. Liposuction with short-scar (modified) arm lift

Liposuction with a short-scar arm lift is most appropriate for patients with extra deposits of fat and mild skin laxity.

Liposuction with a short-scar arm lift may be performed for patients with extra deposits of fat and moderate skin laxity if the tradeoff of having some residual skin laxity in exchange for reduced scarring is preferable.

3. Arm lift

A full arm lift is most appropriate for patients with extra deposits of fat and moderate to severe skin laxity who desire maximal arm contouring.

Please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs both liposuction and full arm lifts for an evaluation and discussion of your concerns.

An in-person examination by an experienced professional is essential for your situation. Be wary of providers who perform liposuction only (and do not perform arm lifts), as liposuction will always be their preferred solution.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD 

Larry Fan, MD

+1

You may be able to get away with liposuction alone.  Arm lift is always the safe and conservative answer.  If you are borderline, liposuction could be performed first with the understanding that the skin may need to be addressed with arm lift in the future.  Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA