Arm Lift, Mini Tummy Tuck, and Brazilian Butt Lift in One Surgery?

I am 32-year-old woman, and I have recently lost 100 lbs, weighing currently 145lbs. I am in excellent health and a quick healer, or so I have been told. I am interested in getting an arm lift, mini tummy tuck and brazillian butt lift. Would it be even possible to have all 3 procedures done at once? Approximately how much downtime will I need?

Multiple procedures for massive weight loss patient

+5

Hello, You can have a multiple procedure at the same time. However, you are best served to have a full tummy tuck because you have lost 100 lbs and most likely have enough excess skin and soft tissue as well as laxity of muscle. You are most likely not a good candidate for mini-tummy tuck.

Hope this was helpful.

Combining arm lift, tummy tuck and brazilian butt lift

+5

Congratulations on your weight loss. You are facing a problem that many patients who have lost weight wrestle with. Tummy tuck, arm lifts and buttocks lift are common procedures that are sought. In my San Francisco area practice these procedures would not be done at the same time.

There are always three things to consider in combining procedures.

1. Is it surgically safe?

Combining procedures increases post-operative complications - period. Now the increase may be very small and outweigh the risk of an additional anesthetic, recovery time etc., but in procedures that will take substantial time these risks can be significant.

2. Is it surgically feasible?

While many surgeons (myself included) would consider doing a brachioplasty (arm lift) and tummy tuck at the same time, many would not consider adding a brazilian butt lift. The reason why is many times abdominoplasty can require flexing the operative bed a bit to take tension off the closure - so you're bent a little bit at the waist. My lipotransfer buttock augmentations (brazilian butt lift) require the patient to be lying on her stomach, face down. This position would directly interfere with what I'm trying to do with the tummy tuck.

3. What would the general recovery be like?

Any surgeon wants a safe and quick recovery for their patient. Combining procedures can be a good way to minimize total down time but if too many things are done the recovery period can be particularly troublesome.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

Performing Brazilian Butt lift and additional surgical procedures simultaneously.

+4

SEE VIDEO BELOW FOR SAMPLE BRAZILIAN BUTT LIFT & TUMMY TUCK:

Just because it is possible doesn't necessarily mean that it should be done. Depending on the techniques used and the number of surgeons working simultaneously, the length of time to accomplish these procedures can vary tremendously. IF you can find an experienced team that performs thiese routinely and can complete the procedure within 6-8 hours, it may be an option. Most surgeons would take more time and therefore prefer to split the procedure into two stages.

Extreme makeovers are passe

+3

I would not--these procedures are cosmetic and ellective, but not risk free. Too much surgery at one time can signifigantly increase your risks. Not only that, but this combination is not a complementary one with regards to post op recovery. You must ambulate and move after the body procedures and the arm lift will interfere with your ability to get of bed,etc. It is certainly more convenient to do everything at once but in my practice of 20 years I would recommend against this.

David Shuter, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Generally not advisable to have all these procedures at the same time

+3

Congratulations on your weight loss -- that is quite an achievement! It is generally not advisable to have Arm lift, Mini Tummy Tuck, and Brazilian Butt done at the same time. Combining body contouring procedures such as this, especially when they are somewhat time intensive procedures increases post-operative complications.

These type of body contouring procedures are very common after a significant weight loss, but it is best to practice a bit of patience. You should consider factors, such as: is it safe? What might your recovery time entail?

Give it some thought, and decide on which procedure you absolutely can't wait to have done, just in case multiple procedures prove impossible. It is advisable to first meet with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. The two of you should then discuss a surgery plan which is tailored specifically to your needs and goals and that prioritizes your safety.

Scott W. Mosser, MD

Combining multiple cosmetic surgeries

+3

As Dr. Aldea stated so well, the likelihood that you would be a "mini" tummy tuck candidate after a 100 pound weight loss is zero. You will certainly need a full tummy tuck to address the entire abdomen and the loose skin. It might be possible to do this with an arm lift, but in my opinion, that's it for one day!

You need to realize that lengthy surgery and difficulty ambulating after surgery from having done too much carries a risk of dying from blood clots in your veins that can dislodge and travel to your lungs where they plug the major vessels leading to death.

After complete healing from the other surgeries, about 3-4 months, you could proceed with your buttock lift.

Congratulations on your weight loss - please continue to take good care of yourself and do these cosmetic procedures wisely, even if it sounds inconvenient to stage them.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Some concern about the procedures you are considering

+3

Congratulations on your 100 lb weight loss! Quite an accomplishment! Many surgeons do combine procedures for body contouring after massive weight loss, so long as the total length of surgery is safe and there are no medical problems that would dictate shorter procedures.

I do have some concern about the procedures you are considering, though. In my experience, it would be very unusual for a "mini-tummy tuck" to be the right procedure for someone who has lost 100 pounds. I suspect you won't be happy with your results unless you do a full tummy tuck. Be sure to carefully discuss with your surgeon what you can expect after a mini or a full tummy tuck. Make sure the procedure you get will actually meet your goals. Also, there may be other options for giving you more buttock shape. Fat grafting ( Brazilian butt lift) is an option, but your surgeon might also suggest using some of the fat from your back as a flap and rotating it into your buttock area to give you more fullness (auto-augmentation).

You should expect your surgeon to want to have medical clearance prior to surgery, particularly if you combine procedures.

Good luck to you!

Carmen Kavali, MD

See a board certified plastic surgeon to develope a safe surgical plan.

+3

Congratulations! Your concerns are valid. We always stress safety first and cosmetic outcomes second! It is difficult to answer your question without having the opportunity to perform an examination.

The body contouring procedures that you are interested in are common following major weight loss. It is very important to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in the procedures of arm lift, mini-tummy tuck, and Brazilian butt lift. A safe and reasonable surgical plan needs to be established.

Determine what anatomic areas bother you the most, so, in the likelihood the procedures need to be staged, you can rank the procedure you want performed first.

Thanks for your question.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

You may not be in that good health

+3

MS,

This amount of surgery would certainly be pushing the envelope of safety. Of course, it depends on exactly how much surgery you need. If it is a small amount of loose skin and you do not require muscle tightening during your abdominoplasty, then it may be possible. Also, keep in mind that your physiologic health may not be excellent. If your height is dimunitive, then at 245 lbs your BMI or body mass index was very high. Your cardiovascular health is certainly somewhat compromised from the years that you were overweight. This fact places you at higher risk for complications from a prolonged procedure. A consultation with your board certified plastic surgeon will disclose exactly how much surgery you can safely undergo. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Combining a Tummy Tuck with Brazilian Butt Lift

+2

Hi there-

As I have said many a time on Real Self, there are many things in Plastic Surgery that CAN be done, but that doesn't mean they SHOULD be done, or that they are in the best interests of the patient....

Any tummy tuck (in order to achieve a pleasing outcome) will require a slightly waist flexed position, and of course a Brazilian Butt Lift will require you to stay off of your butt.

These two operations and the positioning required to perform them (to say nothing of recovering from them) are therefore not smart to combine into one procedure.

My personal opinion would be that someone offering to do these together probably doesn't do many of either- be careful.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS