Arm Lift Incision...can It Be Placed in the Armpit? (photo)

I have an armlift scheduled in August and I wanted to know if the incision can be done by the arm pit horizontally or if it has to go from the armpit vertically to the elbow? I want to have this procedure but I am terrified that my arms will worse with the scars...

Arm Lifting and Scars?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture. Although I cannot give you specific advice, some general information may be helpful to you.

Arm lifting surgery can be an excellent operation for the right patient.  The ideal patient has loose skin/adipose tissue of the upper arms ( sometimes patients called the area “bat wings”),  especially common after significant weight loss.  This operation is best done when patients have achieved a long-term stable weight.

Understandably, one of the main concerns/downsides of the arm lift surgery is a resulting scar. Careful planning of the operation is critical  in executing the operation and determining the final position of the resulting scar.  In my opinion, a scar that ends up along the very lower border of the upper arm is the best tolerated scar,  since it is hard to see from the front or back when a patient's arms are by his/her side.

You may find it attached link helpful as you do your research.

Arm lift options

+2

By the photo provided, you need a brachioplasty that extends to the elbow, otherwise the surgeon will not be able to contour your arm nd remove enough skin to make a difference.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift Incision...can It Be Placed in the Armpit

+2

Only an occasional arm lift patient is a good candidate for an axillary only incision. You have far too much laxity for this approach, and will need an incision down the arm. These scar are visible if not covered by clothing, and I usually tell patients that they will probably not wear short sleeve shirts for a year. The improvement has to be worth the scars. You can best get informed in the setting of a consultation.

All the best. 

Arm Lift Incision...can It Be Placed in the Armpit?

+2

If the laxity extends all the way to the elbow, the longer incision is needed.   The incision in the armpit can only remove a small amount of redundant skin right at the axilla.  If you had this surgery, you would not notice much of a difference.  The scar can be placed in a variety of locations (inside of arm, back of arm).  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs HUNDREDS of body contouring procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Arm Lift Procedures

+1

Arm lift procedures (brachioplasty)  can be performed through limited incisions in the armpit (axilla) or can be designed with an incision from the armpit to the elbow.  The axillary incision alone approach is for minimal skin laxity that is located close to the armpit.  A plastic surgery evaluation will determine your options.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift surgery

+1

Your concerns are valid and that is why I show pictures of the scars to allow the patient to make up their mind if it is right for them. The contour improvement is so great that patients are willing to accept the scars. Find a doctor you trust and review their photos. Not all doctors perform this type of surgery so be particular in finding a board certified doctor in your area.

Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Arm tuck scars

+1

Traditionally, the incisions for the arm tuck extend from the arm pit to the elbow. Some do qualify for a shorter scar that does not extend to the elbow. If only an axillary incision is used, there will not be enough skin removed. The actual length of your incision can be determined during the consultation. laser liposuction may give some improvement, but will not give you the tight arm you are wanting.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon