Arm Lift with Lipo Now Vs Laser Lipo Now and Arm Lift Later?

I'm 25 and I've lost 80lbs with diet&exercise over a 3yr period.

My 16" arms haven't changed, just the firmness of the skin. My question is: Should I do a session or two of low abrasion laser lipo treatments and wear compression garments for a while;then do an armlift? OR Should I go to a plastic surgeon and do an arm lift and lipo now.

Scaring is not a concern. Smaller arms are. Some armlifts still look like large arms! Which would show better results? Also Miss. & LA Dr.'s for this treatment?

Arm Lift with Lipo Now Vs Laser Lipo Now and Arm Lift Later

+2

With any type of surgical procedure, patient selection is of utmost importance for the best results. For patients with minimal or mild skin looseness, Smartlipo has been a very effective procedure for arm contouring without all the scars associated with an arm lift, or brachioplasty. For patients with significant loose and extra hanging skin, liposuction alone might be disappointing in terms of the results.

Sometimes, patients who do not want the scarring associated with brachioplasty will opt for Smartlipo instead. Their goal would be to maximize what they can achieve with a minimally invasive technique. Sometimes, patients are happy enough with their results that additional surgeries are not required. However, if the patient wants further improvement after Smartlipo, then brachioplasty can be considered at a later date for further improvement, of course at the price of additional scarring.

Fernando G. Serra MD FACS

Clermont Plastic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction

+1

This can only be decided after an evaluation by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and then both scenarios can be discussed.  Both are viable options but an expert can help you decide which is best.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift versus Liposuction after Weight Loss

+1

Dear forkrysta,

Congratulations on your weight loss.

If you have lost 80 pounds, it is very likely that you have a significant amount of loose skin on your arms. If this is the case, then an arm lift will be necessary to remove the extra skin and to tighten the arms. This may be combined with liposuction if there are still significant fatty deposits under the skin.

Liposuction alone is likely not the right treatment option for you because it will accentuate the looseness and sagging of your skin.

Undergoing liposuction before the arm lift is an option, but most of the time both procedures can be done together.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Laser liposuction vs arm lift after weight loss

+1

If you have lost 80 lbs, You arm skin probably has lost a significant amount of elasticityLaser liposuction can remove further fat around the arm but it will probably result in looser, hanging skin.  From your description,  I believe you will require an arm lift (Brachioplasty).  This procedure can be combined with liposuction performed at the same time. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Staging liposuction and arm lift surgery

+1

I have done arm lifts for patients with heavy arms and skin laxity - my advice is to

1. see a surgeon that does a lot of arm lift procedures

2. consider staging the liposuction first, allowing 3 months of recovery

3. do the arm lift

I've found that scar quality is much better when arm lift surgery is done after the arms are 'decompressed' with liposuction and allowed to heal for several months. This is my own experience, and I'm sure that opinions differ, but this is what has worked in my practice.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

LaserLipo and Arm Lift - order to proceed

+1

It really depends on the condition and size of your arms.  The fact that you are 25yo works to your advantage.  Your skin will be in better condition than if you where older and will more readily shrink after liposuction.  For this reason, despite the lack of physical exam, I am leaning toward liposuction and Laser-Lipo first before skin excision.  I do not recommend Laser-Lipo alone first.  There is not enough improvement with Laser-Lipo alone unless you do some traditional lipo to physically remove some fat cells at the same time.  If you do not get enough skin retraction with Laser-Lipo, then you can always have skin removed, but this order of things will save you a scar and likely allow for more aggressive lipo and Laser-Lipo without wound healing issues.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Arm lift vs liposuction

+1

Usually with a large weight loss there is more of a loose skin component than fatty arms.  You  may be best off to get an arm lift, but without an exam I could not say for sure.

Brachioplasty VS liposuction of arms

+1

It is not easy to give an opinion without examination and thorough evaluation. It all depend on how much fat there is and what is the quality of skin.

Consult a TIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY) opinion.

It does not have to be laser lipo, The instrument is not important ( marketing method), the surgeon is more important in the decision making