Arm Lift, Breast Lift and Hernia Repair All at Once?

I had gastric bypass 4 years ago and lost 200 pounds. I have extra skin on my arms I would like removed and I also would like a Breast lift or Breast implants. Last year, I had emergency bowel obstruction surgery and got a large hernia as a result. I want to get all three procedures done at one time: Arm lift, Breast lift, and hernia repair. Is that possible?

Combining cosmetic procedures with hernia repair can be done safely depending on the patients health..

+1

Combining procedures can often be done safely depending on the complexity of the procedures, the health of the patient and the risk factors for complications. Each patient must have a thorough evaluation prior to having longer operations that have a large elective or cosmetic component. It is best to have your surgeons and your medical doctor review your specific situation and health issues to evaluate whether you are a good candidate.

Combined Surgery?

+1

Combined surgery is very commonly and safely performed.  Whether this can be done in your case  should be based on careful consultation (history, physical examination, and consideration of risks/complications/operating room time).

Based solely on your description,  the breast and arm surgery certainly can be done in one session (assuming you are medically cleared to proceed with surgery).  The “large hernia”  probably should be addressed first.

Multiple body procedures

+1

I think that if you have a complicated hernia to repair, you may be better off fixing that first and then having the other procedures done at a later time. 

Combination surgery is challenging to coordinate

+1

No question- the arm and breast lift can be done safely together- this is a combination that makes a lot of sense. Your complex abdominal wall reconstruction should be done in a hospital setting by an experienced general surgeon. I'm a board certified General Surgeon as well as a plastic surgeon, and I would never consider doing these three operations on anyone. Its going to be tough to find two surgeons willing to work simultaneously to pull off these three big operations. Take care of your functional problem first- the hernia- and then think about doing the cosmetic procedures.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Do breast lift and arm lift together, but not hernia repair.

+1

Hi.

The breast lift and the arm lift should be done together.  In massive weight loss patients, those incisions have to be coordinated.  But the hernia repair can be a big deal, and I would do that separately.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Arm Lift, Breast lift, and hernia repair in one surgery

+1

It is really NOT an issue of CAN they all be done at the same time. It IS an issue of SHOULD these three operations be done together generally and then, in you.

As Plastic surgeons were are Surgical Super-Specialists. The vast majority of Plastic surgeons completed and were Board Certified in ANOTHER surgical field BEFORE training in Plastic Surgery -- with the vast majority having trained fully in General Surgery.

As a former General Surgeon, I can tell you that Hernias do not get the "respect" they should be getting. Hernias still kill thousands of people every year and their management can be quite complicated. You often read about hernias recurring despite repairs by good surgeons and of intestine twisting and dying inside hernias.

I would STRONGLY advise you to get your hernia repaired first BEFORE embarking on other repairs. If you wanted to combine the hernia repair with a Tummy Tuck repair (which may be simple or require a COMPONENT SEPARATION TECHNIQUE) I would have no problem with that.

I would save the Breast Lift and Arm lift for a later time once the hernia has healed and does not pose a threat.

Good Luck.

Consult with your surgeon.

+1

Hi,

It techinically is possible. However, it is important to weigh the benefits vs. the risks. Your hernia repair will definitely take prescedent. It is important to take care of the necessities first. I would schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. He/she should consult with your primary doctor and general surgeon and they will figure out what is the best option for you. It may be best to stage the surgeries. It all depends on your medical condition and other factors.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Multiple procedures

+1

The fact that you describe your hernia as large and occured after a complicated bowel obstruction strongly suggests that your first priority should be the hernia repair. Discuss this thoroughly with your general surgeon who will do this repair and may possibly use a mesh. The potential problem is that the general surgeon will likely have to do an extensive dissection to free all of the scarred tissues. Also, if the hernia is so large the compression resulting from a "tight" closure can potentially impair your post op lung function and you need to concentrate on this. The length of time for these multiple procedures and the signifantly increased risks I feel negate considering these together. One consideration would be to do the hernia repair and IF everything went extremely smoothly (better than expected) and if the plastic surgeon is willing to "hang around", then the procedure could possibly by done. But this seems unlikely. Erring on the part of safety for the patient is hardly an error in the end.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift, Breast lift and Hernia Repair at same time

+1

I have done many body contouring procedures. I have done these procedures at the same time. However, I had to use a plastic surgeon as an assistant in order to speed up the process.

Make sure your surgeon is board certified and that your procedures are being performed at an accredited facility.

John Diaz, MD

Multiple procedures common with Massive weight loss

+1

It is very common to have multiple proceudres done at the same time in massive weight loss patients. However, the decision is based on the risks vs the benefits of doing multiple surgery, vs individual procedures. You also would need to have an assessment from your medical doctor.

As a plastic surgeon we always defer to the primary surgeon and his procedure. If they fel that their procedure should be done by itself we respect that opinion. If they approve then we discuss the positives and negatives with the patient

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon