If your on medication, when should you stop taking it before surgery?

(Im having the BBL and lipo)

Avoid this...

+1
Avoid all herbal products, over the counter supplements, vitamin E, fish oil, NSAIDs, aspirin, and blood thinning medication.

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

When do I stop taking medications before surgery?

+1
Generally I asked patient's to stop any blood thinners 3 weeks prior to surgery.  Blood thinners found in over-the-counter medications include aspirin-containing products, ibuprofen containing products like Motrin, Advil, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Aleve and prescription naproxen etc. other supplements to have patient stop taking that could also thin out the blood are vitamin E, ginkgo, large amount of garlic and red wine.  I also recommend that the patient stop all supplements that are used for body building including steroids.  Generally prescription medications that the patient is on is not a problem as long as he does not contain blood thinners.It is very important to go over all the medications you take with your surgeon,so that he and the anesthesiologist a well aware of her medical conditions beforehand.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

BBL

+1
It depends what medications... Anything that could potentially thin your blood (aspirin, advil, fish oil etc...) we suggest stopping at least 2 weeks prior. I would check with your surgeon to be sure. Good luck!

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Meds

+1

This depends on what kind of medication you're taking. You should inform your PS and follow his advice.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

When should I stop taking medication before surgery?

+1
It depends on the medication - in general, non-essential things like vitamins, supplements, ibuprofen, aleve, etc. should be stopped at least 2 weeks before surgery. Other medications such as oral contraceptives or hormone replacements need to be discussed with your surgeon.   Medications that you need to treat a chronic health issue  (high blood pressure, asthma, etc.) are usually not stopped, but you absolutely need to talk with your surgeon and anesthesiologist well before surgery to discuss.

Michelle Spring, MD

Medications before surgery.

+1
This depends upon the specific medication(s) you are taking.  Some medications should be stopped, some should not be stopped.  Check with your plastic surgeon regarding specific medication instructions.

Joseph D. Alkon, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Medications and Surgery

+1
The use of medications around surgery depends on the condition being treated. Certain chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, thyroid problems, etc. require that you continue your medications. Others like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents for arthritis should be stopped to reduce the risk of bleeding. Diabetics sometimes have their medications adjusted.  Your specific situation should be discussed with your surgeon and anesthesiologist. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Medication and BBL

+1
Medication that is important for high blood pressure, etc should be taken as indicated with a sip of water.  You should check with your surgeon.