How long does it take your eyes to heal from upper and lower eye life surgery on an average? (photo)

I know everyone is different but I'm starting to get worried because my scars are dark and whelped (raised) I had my surgery a month ago, stitches came open the first time had to be restitched, opened again, now that eye has the largest raised scare. Both r scared the right eye has bumps along the scar. The selling just went down 3 days ago I'm on steroids for pain. My 2nd wk a surgeon told me I was going to need a revision but I'm not sure if someone could tell that soon after surgery.

Scarring should improve with time.

+2

This is not a great picture, but it does look like you have a larger scar than normal for an upper eyelid surgery. The fact that it had to be re-sutured is going to slow down the healing. You can try some massage with a steroid cream to soften the scar. Your surgeon can also inject some steroid directly into the scar if it is raised and firm. If it doesn't improve you doctor can re-excise the scar - but wait until it is completely healed which takes a few months.

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper Blepharoplasty Scar Healing

+1

Due to the thinness of eyelid skin, incisions can heal really well with a low incidence of scar problems. I would give your eyelid incisions a good 3 months to mature and fade before considering to do anything with them. With that amount of time for healing, many of the scar concerns that you are seeing at this early point after surgery will improve significantly.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Healing after upper eyelid surgery

+1

You need to be patient as blepharoplasty scars tend to improve dramatically with time (3-6 months). Those scars rarely ever need to be revised. Fractional laser resurfacing can help improve the appearance of any scar and I typically use this treatment around 3-4 months post-op when the scars are either thick or raised (or discolored). The type of suture used is commonly the problem. In general I like to use suture that comes out in 5-6 days max.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon