I'm 33 years old and have developed brown aging spots all over my legs since giving birth. How do I get rid of them? (photo)

I am 33 years old and since the birth of my first son, 4 years ago, I've developed brown spots all over my legs. They look like aging or some refer to them as liver spots. Is there a way to get rid if these spots?

Flat tan to light brown spots on legs are lentigos

+1
Lentigos represent an accumulation of pigment carrying cells and can occur on sun exposed areas of lighter complected individuals. Treatment has ranged from simple to complex: 1) bleaching creams aren't either fast or effective; 2) shave biopsy or liquid Nitrogen treatment result in white scars; 3) excisional biopsy isn't practical for the amount of scars which would result; 4) IPL; 5 ) Laser.  I am pleased to offer Cutera XL laser, whose parameters can be calibrated according to the Fitzpatrick skin type, type of lesion, (pigmented or vascular), location and thickness.  The treatment doesn't require topical anesthetic because of the inclusion of a cooling unit, which both protects the skin from excessive bulk heating as well as makes the procedure more comfortable.  It is likely that multiple treatments will be needed on the darker lesions, however it isn't prohibitively expensive.  Good luck. 

Age Spots| Legs

+1

Treatment with Broad Band Light or Intense Pulsed Light, IPL may be helpful.

To be sure, see two or more licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have these treatments.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Brown Spot Removal on the Legs

+1
Hi Avebrown.  These look like lentigines (standard sun spots) or seborrheic keratosis (slightly raised sun spots).  Either way, both of the concerns are treated (at our practice) with q-switched lasers.  

Check the before and after pictures at the link below to see brown spots on the legs removed for a Los Angeles patient.  Good luck!

Harold J. Kaplan, MD