Can I Get Silicone Implants Placed Under the Muscle Via Areola Incision?

I am considering getting implants next month. I want my implants to look as natural as possible. I am currently a 34 small B cup. I have a good amount of adipose breast tissue and my breasts are not droopy or saggy. I do not want the incision under the breast fold. I am considering getting the high profile smooth implants.

Silicone Implants through a Peri-Areolar Incision

+1

The short answer is, yes. Silicone implants can be placed under the muscle through a peri-areolar (around the areola) incision, provided the areola are large enough. If not, another incision choice should be used such as underneath the breast (infra mammary). 

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants

+1

Silicone implants can certainly be placed trough an areolar incision.  However, it becomes more difficult if your areolae are small, in which case your surgeon may advise the inframammary Incision instead.  And that's okay, because the inframammary incision heals quite nicely.  I use it frequently, with almost no complaints.

Areola incision for submuscular implants

+1

Yes, the areolar incision can be used for breast augmentation and still have the implants placed beneath the muscle. The size of the areola determines if this can be done. The circumference of the lower half of the areola (distance around the lower border) should probably be at least 6 cms for a modest high profile implant.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/html/breast-augmentation-procedure.html

Periareolar incision

+1

You absolutely can have silicone implants placed through the areolar incision.  There are three acceptable incisions for placing silicone implants.  The transaxillary, the periareolar, and the inframammary.  In my opinion, the least favorable one is the transaxillary approach.  Firstly, all surgeons if they operate, have some patients that require revisions.  It is usually impossible to perform revisions through the transaxillary approach.  These patients now  require a second incision.  Also, some breast augmentation patients require a particular surgery in order to optimize the result called a dual plane dissection.  This, too, is not possible through the axillary approach. Lastly, in the transaxillary approach, the surgeon has no tactile input to develop an optimal breast pocket. The surgeon relies purely on long instruments and a camera.  The surgeon gets no feed back from his fingertips, a most sensitive tool.  For some surgeons to claim that the transaxillary approach is" the best" is misleading and a bit arrogant.

Silicone implants through areola incision

+1

The ability to use the areola incison depends upon the size of your areola and the size of the silicone implants. This was my preferred method of access when I did saline implants.

Peri areolar incisions can be used for either under the breast or under the muscle or dual plane or subfascial

+1

The answer is that the implant can be put any where through the peri areolar incision and the results are great. I feel that if you are going under the muscle the trans axillary (arm pit) is best. Best scar and fewest problem. If you have a good deal of breast tissue in the upper pole of your breast to cover the possible ripples from the implant and you want the most natural looking and feeling breast, I would recommend the peri areolar sub  mammary (under the breast) with textured silicone gel implants. 

AREOLAR INCISION

+1

Hi AZLatina,

The short answer is yes.  This is a common approach used for breast augmentation either placement on top or under the muscle works well.  There has been some recent data that feels there may be a slighter higher capsular contracture rate with this approach.  It has been shown that the bacterial contamination from the ducts and nipple is higher increasing the Biofilm risk.  Personally I have not seen a higher contracture rate with an areolar approach.

Web reference: http://www.toddbkochmd.com

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar Incision for Silicone Gel Breast Augmentation

+1

To restate what the other surgeons have said, it is commonly done, and more than likely you would be able to have it performed that way.  Some individuals have a large enough areola that allow easy access via this route.  Those that don't may be better served with either an inframammary incision or an armpit incision.  On the other hand, certain individual with poorly defined inframammary folds might do better with the periareolar or armpit incisions.

From a complication standpoint, the lowest risk incision (specifically capsular contracture, the most common complication) is the inframammary incision.  This is because there is minimal breast tissue or milk ducts that are violated, minimizing bacterial contamination that typically causes capsular contracture.

Web reference: http://www.drminniti.com

Periareolar augmentation for submuscular implant placement

+1

Thank you for your question. This is my preferred aproach to submuscular breast augmentation. I go through the areola down to the muscle and than I dissect laterally to pick up the muscle edge. I do not divide the muscle as some surgeons do, but incise the fascia to enter the sub muscular plane. You state that you want to look natural and have good amount of adipose tissue. If that is the case, I prefer to place the implants under the subfascial muscle plane (the tough tissue covering the muscle) instead of submuscular placement. With submuscular placement you will have some degree of breast distortion with muscle flexing. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.bellevueplasticsurgeons.com

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Yes, silicone implants can be placed through an areolar incision

+1

It is common and not technically difficult to place implants through a peri-areolar incision in most patients.