Which Incision is Healthier, Areola or Under the Breast?

Thank you very much to all doctors that answer my questions. It is really helping me to get a decisions. I'm now confronted with the choice of the incision location. Is it better one or the other as far as type of implant?

Which Incision is Healthier

+1

There are a number of incisions that are used to place breast implants. If one were clearly better than the others, there would only be one incision and all surgeons would use it on all patients. 

I personally prefer the breast fold, because there is the least tampering with breast anatomy through that incision. But there are occasions either for reasons of anatomy or patient preference that I will use the areola, axilla, or navel (this one for saline only). 

Choice of incision seems like a big deal, but I find it way less important than the other choices, such as size, contour, position above or below muscle, and consideration of possible need for a lift. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Incision site

+1

You could almost Tessa coin to make your decision, They are both perfectly satisfactory approaches with scars that heal well.  also, the incidence of diminished nipple sensation is very low either way.  If you choose silicone and have small areola, it may be difficult to pace atheist implant through such a small incision.  Otherwise, either choice works great!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Augmentation Incision

+1

Both areola and under the breast incision are widely used and accepted. In my practice, I perform these as well as the armpit incision. When compared to the areola incision, the under the breast incision has less risk for infection, capsular contracture (hardening), and persistent tenderness of the nipple. Both are hidden in their own way. The skin of the areola is thinner than under the breast so does tend to heal with a thinner scar. The type of implant does not change depending on which incision. 

Michael Horn, MD

Both incisions are healthy

+1

Both are healthy but if someone has an extremely small areola, sometimes under the breast is best. You can also have implants put in under the arm. 

Alejandro Enriquez de Rivera, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar or inframammary incision

+1

Thank you for your question. Both the periareolar and inframammary approaches are safe and accepted locations for the incision for a breast augmentation. Each has its advantages and proponents, though it is a largely personal preference. I prefer the inframammary approach personally, thought I do plenty of each. I think that the inframammary scar is in a location that is not visible when standing and that it has a slightly lower incidence of loss of nipple sensation, as has been shown in some studies. In addition, there is no disruption of breast tissue, which can be present with the periareolar approach.

I would suggesting the options with your plastic surgeon. See what they are most comfortable with and decide which you are most comfortable with. Either choice should work out just fine for you.

Best of luck with your augment.

Jeff Rockmore 

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar vs inframammary incision?

+1

Both incisions are well accepted and trusted. It is probably best to ask your plastic surgeon which he/she feels most comfortable.

I prefer the inframammary incision as it hides under the breast tissue and is not see. I measure and make my incisions in this location at 3 cm or less than an inch and a half. The periareolar incision requires dissection through some of the breast tissue, but heals very well on the surface.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Which incision is prefrable the areolar or inframammary?

+1

Both the areolar and inframammary incisions are very commonly used. While there may be times when one is preferable over the other, such as when the areolas are small, most times it's a choice that is made by the patient and surgeon. Your PS can reveiw with you any advantages and disadvantage with the two incisions. Good luck!.

George Lefkovits, MD

Incisions for breast implants

+1

There is no one ideal location for the incision for a breast augmentation. Each has advantages and disadvantages and the choice of implant and your anatomy may impact the decision as well. It is best to review this after an exam. Good luck.

Both the inframammary and periareolar incisions are good choices.

+1

The inframammary and periareolar incisions are both good approaches.  If you are having silicone gel implants, the incision has to be a little longer.  Usually, but not always, we can still use the incision along the areolar border.  But if you have small areolae this might be difficult. 

I prefer the inframammary incision because it is almost always hidden.  Also there is no need to dissect through breast tissue, which you have to do if you make the incision along the edge of the areola.  Dissecting through breast tissue may possibly increase the chance of infection slightly (although I have never had an infection with this approach, so I do not know that this is a real problem).  If I use the incision in the crease under the breast, I keep it just above the crease so it is hidden within the bra and does not show if you jump up and raise your arms (like a cheerleader or volleyball player, you don't want them to show).  I've attached a link so you can look at examples of both incisions.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Incision choices for breast augmentation

+1

Both incisions have been widely used for many years for breast augmentation. I believe it's a decision based on personal preference, but occasionally can be limited by your anatomy. For silicone gel implant, especially larger implant, the incision has to be slightly longer than the saline implant. Rarely, the areola is so small that the incision would fit a silicone gel implant through. Typically, for saline implant it's not a problem.

Sincerely,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS