Will little bumps to the nose cause any damage within 2 weeks of rhinoplasty?

I'm 9 days post rhinoplasty. All has gone well except on occasion, I've bumped my nose. I've been careful, but since splint removal, I've swatted my nose a couple times with blankets while in bed. Two times I bumped my nose with my hand, once while moving around in bed and another while washing my face. All times caused bit of pain, but no bleeding. Will all these bumps have a negative impact on healing of the nose, structure, or on final result of my nose, structurally or aesthetically?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question. Trauma to the nose after rhinoplasty is not ideal and should obviously be avoided.  Small "bumps" will likely not cause issue. However, rhinoplasty is a very finesse procedure in which subtle changes are performed to make changes on the nose. This, disruption of these or things to increase swelling may impact results.  If there is any concern for issues that may have affected the procedure itself, evaluation by your surgeon is suggested. There is nothing to be done now and taking caution is always recommended postoperatively. Best wishes!  

Trauma to the nose after rhinoplasty

+1
Trauma to the nose after rhinoplasty could definitely be something that could affect the final result. However, all you can do is be careful and try to minimize bumping the nose. After a couple weeks, the nose should be pretty well "set" and you can start to resume normal activities, although contact sports or other activities with a high likelihood of trauma should be avoided for 6-8 weeks.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumping Nose After Rhinoplasty…Avoiding That Manny Pacquiao Look

+1
Hi E,

Take it easy on your poor nose.  You don't want to look like Manny Pacquiao!  Most likely you have not damaged your nose, but discuss any concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

+1
Being careful is about all you can do in the recovery.  If there are any concerns, your surgeon should examine you.