I'm 5'1 and 118 lbs. What would you recommend; 550cc or 400cc?

I had 2 consultations both Dr.s had difference in size options one Dr. I wanted to go with 550cc high profile silicone under the muscle and the other said nothing greater than 400cc I am really leaning towards the 550cc but don't want to look too big. I want them big though. Any thoughts I am 5'1" 118lbs ...

Size

+1
I would go with the smaller size recommendation doctor. 550 is a random number that was likely just chosen without regard to your frame and tissue qualities. At your height 400 is going to be right around the maximum safe size for you.

Lots of people want to go bigger than their body allows for ,and many do. This will increase your risk of complications, immediate and long term. Our tissues do not get any better as we age and a bigger implant will be a bigger tax on your tissues.

The enemy of good is better.

Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

The Best Size for your dream look!!

+1
Hi and thanks for your answer, because the wrong breast implants for your frame will make them look unnatural and the dissatisfaction with the final result. As a Doctor we examined, and always recommend to the patient a size by her chest dimensions and the type of implant to be procedure. I recommend in this case gel implants of 400cc.

Manuel Marte, MD

How large of an implant should I choose?

+1
Thanks so much for your question. It ultimately comes down to your choice. It would likely be helpful if you went to a Dr who had a sizing system in their office so you could try the different implants on with your clothes. That would possibly help you to visualize how the sizes would look on you're frame.  You are fairly petite, so going larger than 400cc will look fairly large on your frame. However, if you are well informed and understand the risks associated with the larger implants than it's fine. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

550 cc breast implants are very large for a petite framed woman

+1
Based on your size I would be very reluctant to go larger than 400 cc.  Understand that breast implants larger than 500 cc have an increased chances of complications such as capsular contracture.  Photographs would be helpful however based on your height and weight I would be very cautious going over 400 cc.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Recommendation for implant size

+1
Given the information provided I would probably recommend the 400cc implant. However, implant size should be based on your measurements and goals. Remember that  bigger  implants will result in thinner soft tissue coverage over the implant and likely more problems.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

550 cc breast implants

+1
Breast implants of this size will likely look unnatural on your fame. They make also make you look heavy. Find a plastic surgeon who uses biodimensional planning principals to determine the appropriate size and position of breast implants for you. Also, be sure to look at many, many photos to be certain you and our plastic surgeon share the same aesthetic sensibilities. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

+1
Hello, thank you for your question. It is nearly impossible to give you a good assessment without at least some pictures. I will tell you, that in my opinion anything more than 430 cc is big, way big. I rarely use anything bigger than 445, but it depends on a lot of variables, like the amount of skin you have (skin envelope), the quality of the skin, the breast diameter, amount of breast tissue available to cover the implant (as a big implant without enough cover is more likely to get a capsular contracture). Again, I cannot give you any recommendations on size, as measurements need to be taken, but think through about going for a too big implant. Hope to have been of some help. good luck

Jose A. Leon, MD

Picking the ideal #BreastImplant

+1
There is no way to reliably pick which implant is right based upon your measurements alone and implant "CCs." Many things such as your skin quality, breast width, skin elasticity, existing breast tissue, chest wall shape and implant size and implant fill all contribute to your ultimate "look" after augmentation.

No physician can predict what each implant will do on your body until they are "sized in surgery."

The best way to achieve the look you want after augmentation is first a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and adequate communication with your surgeon. This is accomplished through the consult, exam, measurements, anatomic assessment and then in-office sizing. We also encourage patients to bring in photos of the "look" they are trying to achieve. Once all of this has been accomplished, the patient needs to put their trust into their physician to make the "best choice" of likely imperfect options. Then, you will get your "version" of your ideal outcome. 

Vincent Marin, MD
MarinAesthetics.com

Vincent P. Marin, MD

+1
Thank you for the question!  This is a complex question.  Implant size range is determined based on the thickness of your skin envelope, elasticity of your breast, width of your chest wall underneath your breasts, and goals and desires.  Your surgeons can help guide you into a range that they feel would be safe for your body.  Each surgeon may come to slightly different conclusions based on their experience, methodology, and philosophy.  Neither surgeon is right or wrong.  Listen to their reasoning and plan.  Ultimately, you should choose the surgeon and plan you feel most comfortable with.  

-- Dr. Mussman

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Implant size recommendations

+1
There are several factors that plastic surgeons consider when recommending implant sizes. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS