Areolas Are Now Different Sizes

I had an explant & mastopexy 2 mons ago. Im happy with it except for the vastly different areola size. I know this is "normal" in other women, but I was always proud to have the exact same size areolas on each breast. Now they are substantially different. One looks like my regular areola and the other is puckered and smaller. I spoke to the surgeon about it last week. He said in 6 months if it doesnt correct he can do an in-office fix. Is it normal for areolas to take 6 mons to heal? Im scared.

Areola Revision

+2

I would agree with your surgeon that waiting is a very reasonable at this time. If things do not change, then a revisional procedure may be needed and many times can be perfomed under local anesthesia. It is not uncommon for your breasts to change with time.

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/breast-lift.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Areolar size diffferent after a mastopexy

+1

It is not unusual for the areola to be different in the early stages of  healing.  When performing a mastopexy precise measurements are usually made so that the diameter of the areola is 42 mm.  Skin tension and asymmetric swelling can make for the areola to appear different sizes.  Given time it will get better.  If not then you may need a revision.  

Nipple assymetry following explantation

+1

I agree with you doctor.  Sometimes nipple assymetry over time as the scars settle.  If they don't you physician will have better tissue to work with after the scars have soften.   This scar maturation process can take 6 months or more.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Explantation - Areolas are Asymmetric

+1

Hi acup33,

It's not unreasonable to give it 6 months before you make a decision on any revisions.  Obviously, it would be preferable if everything looked perfect from the start but that's often not the case, and for many reasons.  Exactly what can and should be done may be a little tricky - not all options are available at all times - but I'd give it a few months and stay in touch with your PS.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Areolas different sizes

+1

the fourth dimension in breast surgery is gravity, and similary it takes several months to heal fully. If you are concerned before the time has elapsed make an appointment to see your plastic surgeon.

Monterey Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

6 months gives the breasts time to heal and settle in from the lifting procedure.  The areolas will most likely not change in regards to asymmetry but it is standard to wait several months to allow for adequate healing.

Is it normal to have different sized areola after surgery?

+1

I would tend to agree with your surgeon in that your tissue needs to settle and the swelling needs to resolve before moving forward with a revision.  If at that time your areola are different sizes, then it is very reasonable to revise them and this can often be performed as an in-office procedure. 

Unfortunately, tissue healing can be somewhat unreliable and even the best surgeons do revisions here and there. 

I hope that helps and wish you the best of luck with your procedure!

Web reference: http://www.beautybybuford.com/services/breast/augmentation-denver-colorado/

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Areola surgery

+1

Your doctor is right. Waiting is reasonable.  This asymmetry can be corrected or improved substantially in the office setting generally under local anesthesia.

Plantation Plastic Surgeon

Areolas Are Now Different Sizes

+1

A posted photo would help advise. But your doc seems reasonable. I personally would wait 3 to 4 months before revision. From MIAMI 

Areola size

+1

A number of factors can affect areola size and these include:

1)the diameter that your areola was set at

2)variable shrinking of the surrounding skin around the areola (more difficult to judge during surgery)

3)implant size utilized.

As the areola is healing to the adjacent skin, it is not uncommon for the adjacent skin around the areola to differentially shrink and loosen, depending on the state of the skin laxity. This can result in slightly asymmetric shaped and sized areolas. This is something that can be corrected by your surgeon postoperatively.

Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon