Areolar Scars from Breast Augmentation. Will Laser Help?

I have had two breast augmentations. The scar isn't really raised, I would just like it to be less visible. The incisions were made around my areolas on each breast. Can lasers be used to help fade the scars in this area? if so, what type of doctor should I see? What would the laser treatment be called?

Lasers for Breast Augmentation Scars

+3

If your breast augmentation scars are red laser treatments can help. Pulse dye lasers are the most frequently used for this. This type of laser can shrink the blood vessels in the scar and reduce the red color. It may take several treatments for optimal results.

If the scar is brown, lasers are less likely to help. If you push on the scar and the color does not change, the color is most likely from pigmentation. Bleaching creams may help, but take months, and are only effective a third of the time.

If the scar is noticeable because it is wide-spread, raised or light in color and inside the areola, Scar revision may be the best choice.

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment to improve breast augmentation scars

+2

If your scars are red occasionally IPL treatments or a KTP laser can be used to lighten the red color. You can see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist for this purpose.

Lasers to Help Breast Augmentation Scars

+2

Usually the scars will heal well on their own after time.  If they are pigmented scars the IPL laser may help to lighten the color of them.  You can find IPL treatments available through many Plastic Surgeon offices or medical day spas. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lasers Can help Scars SOMETIMES

+2

It just depends on your skin type, the coloration of the scar, etc.  Soem work great, while others do not at all.  I would check with your surgeon or a dermatologist in your area who can assess you and see what they think.  I generally tell patients to wait a minimum of a year from their last surgery before they think of any scar revision.  It can take that long for the scar to mature and fade.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Laser Mau Help Augmentation Scars

+2

Some lasers (e.g. pulsed dye laser) can sometimes be of benefit in fading post-op scarring.  You did not state how far out from surgery that you are.  I often have my patients use a silicone gel product which I think is helpful especially if started early in the post-op period.

John Whitt, MD

Areolar scars from breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Laser management for scars

+1

Every person heals differently and will improve over the next 3 to 6 months.  Lasers can help if the scar is still red or pink.   If your scars have widened then you may want to consider a scar revision.    Some patients require up to one year to fully mature.  A nice scar starts in the operation room. The incision must be placed in the right position, sutured keeping the tension off of the skin itself.  Also it has been show that keeping the incision taped for the first three weeks keeps some of the early tension off of the scar.  Then from the end of the third week to the end of the third month it helps to use a topical product with silicone.

Areola scar after breast augmentation

+1

You forgot to mention how long out you are from surgery?  If recent, then I would wait at least a year.