Areola Looks Unattached One Week After Bilateral Mastopexy, Will It Improve?

I am one week post op bilateral mastopexy. 3rd mastopexy in 2 years - 2 benelli, most recent lollipop incision. Today I changed dressing but steristrip pulled away & it looked as if the areola was not properly attached. I am very worried & fear there will be complications such as necrosis & possible loss of nipple. It looks pink but it looks like there is a definite separation from the rest of the breast. If it is pink 1 week on does this mean that nipple is viable & scar needs to settle?

Nipple issue

+1

If you accidentally pulled your areola away from your breast skin, then I suggest you call your surgeon to see if there is a problem.  

Mastopexy wound healing

+1

At one week, most incisions are healing well enough that sutures are no longer needed. I routinely trim or remove sutures are one week and replace steri strips. If the incision edges have pulled apart, it likely means something is wrong, but not necessarily that your end result is compromised. The question is "why is the incision not healing?" If  there is drainage, clear or purulent, then infection needs to be ruled out. If the skin is too tight, shiny, and under pressure, then underlying swelling from hematoma or other sources needs to be addressed. If the skin is thin and does not have a good blood supply, then that needs to be identified. Most likely, the incision will heal, but possibly with slightly worse scarring than ideal. If the skin is pink, then necrosis is unlikely. If the other issues mentioned above are ruled out, then the incision will almost certainly heal in the next several weeks. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon