Areola Skin Forming Thin Layer of Scab. Should I Clean or Leave the Scab Alone?

I've asked a previous question. I am experiencing minor problem after areola size reduction surgery. At some places, the areola skin is still healing. Very small superficial wounds have appeared and my body is trying to close them. The problem is that each time I wash my surgery site with mild soap, the wounds will open and my body will again close them. This has been going on. I am thinking of leaving it covered under a sterile dressing and avoid washing for a few days until they close. Is it a good decision?

+1

While every surgeon has an opinion on what works the best in his hands, I truly believe that your surgeon should be the one advising you on how to care for your wounds. Soliciting advice on the internet may not be the best way to go based on your situation.

In general, allow the wounds to heal by maintaing a moist enviroment (by keeping the wounds covered with a light layer of antibiotic ointment and not removing scabs would work best.

Areola Reduction Healing?

+1

Thank you for the question and description.

It's always best to have your surgeon advise you  since he/she knows your situation best and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Personally, I asked my patients to leave scabs alone  to allow the underlying tissue to heal. I think of the scab as a “biologic  Band-Aid”. Therefore, I would agree with your way of thinking;  cover the problem areas with nonstick sterile dressing,  followed by sterile gauze. Avoid frequent manipulation of the scab  and keep the area clean.

Again, best to follow closely with your plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_inverted_nipple.htm