How to Fix Areola Dent Scar After Breast Augmentation?

I currently have a problem with the scar on my right areola from my surgeon going in a second time (A YEAR LATER) and adding an extra 50cc’s to my Mentor, Saline 350 right implant. This increase made my right implant exceed the 400cc limit. This was for asymmetry.

My problem is that the bottom of the right areola is now attached to the muscle causing a large dent in my right breast when I flex my arm. What could I have done to prevent this from happening? What can I do about it now?

Correcting a scar contracture can be tricky

+1
If you have a scar that is contracted and tethered to the deeper layers, the treatment is to release the scar re-close the wound in layers in such a way that a healthy tissue is sandwiched between the cut scar ends. While in theory simple, in real life getting it to heal properly can be tricky and the scars tend to recur and contract again.

Nipple areola didn't after breast augmentation can be revised

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. There is no foolproof method to prevent the dent you see in your areola especially after a revision breast augmentation. The muscle has simply adhered to the scar beneath the incision.

Fortunately this can be revised with a fairly simple procedure. Please see your plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Nipple Dent after Periareolar Incision

+1

Dear Murphybrown- the problem you have is common after the nipple incision especially after it is made twice.  It can be repaired but will require minor revisional surgery in the office. 

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Repair of areolar dent

+1

This may require a relatively minor procedure with an incision and surgical release of the scar with a layered repair that separates the gland, fatty tissue and skin. In rare instances, release of the muscle is required but this is a more extensive procedure.

Treatment of indents after breast augmentation

+1

The photo is a little out of focus so it is hard to say whether anything needs to done near the skin surface to improve the appearance. Your question implies that it looks OK when you are just standing but the dent appears when you flex your arm. That is usually due to scar tissue connecting layers, such as the skin layer to the muscle layer, that are not normally connected. The treatment then is to surgically break or cut the abnormal connection between layers.

Aaron Stone, MD