Is Areola Reduction Surgery a Good Idea in This Case?

I am 20 yrs, 100 lbs, no pregnancies, and have 30DD breasts with aerolas of ~6.5 cm. I am often annoyed with my breast size b/c it seems disproportionate to my frame, but am particularly unhappy about the large, stretched out appearance of my areolas. I have been considering breast reduction, but have recently discovered that the possibility to just reduce areola size, which would be much less expensive and might help aesthetically. Am I a good candidate for such a procedure?

Areolar reduction

+1
You would be a candidate for areolar reduction. This could be performed alone or as part of a breast lift. Your breasts also demonstrate asymmetry, in the size of the breasts as well as the areolae and in the nipple heights, which aggravates the appearance. All of these issues could be addressed in a mastopexy. Your decision for surgery may be influenced by your age and childbearing plans.

Areola reduction?

+1

Yes, you are a candidate for areola reduction. Fortunately, this is a procedure that can often be done under local or general anesthesia and is less invasive than breast reduction surgery.

It would be wise for you to consider the  scar that will result, around the  areola. The appearance of the scar may range from a fine line to a wide/thick/raise scar (that may require scar revision surgery).

You should also consider  other unfavorable sequelae resulting from this procedure. This may include asymmetric areola, loss or change of sensation, wound healing problems (possibly suture related), recurrence of the “spreading of the areola” and potential changing/flattening of the breasts' profiles.

Please make sure you're working with a well experienced/board-certified plastic surgeon.

Nipple /areolar reduction and......

+1

Areolar reduction is reasonable but consider position and breast shape as well. Speak at length with your surgeon about your options before you have surgery.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction Surgery

+1

Areola that are disproportionately too large relative to the total breast size can benefit from areola reduction. Proportions and balance are very important to breast aesthetics. This includes the areola diameter but not at the expense of the rest of the breast, ie the volume, shape and position. An areola reduction alone can have the effect of flattening the breast and thereby reducing projection. Often, breast shape and position are improved if a vertical tightening is also performed at the same time to create a more conical shape to the breast. Discuss these points with your plastic surgeon so you have a good understanding of the results that can be achieved through different breast surgery techniques.

Sincerely,

Behzad Parva MD, FACS

Behzad Parva, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Areolar Reduction......

+1

Think areolar reduction surgery is a great idea.  But I would recommend doing this with a vertical scar as well.  This will give you a lift of your areola to a slightly higher position and it will also prevent your areola and the surrounding scar from widening.  

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

+1

Thanks for the posted photo. Because of your youth I recommend areolar reduction before the additional scarring of a lift or reduction. 

Areolar Reduction Surgery

+1

You certainly can consider areolar reduction surgery. In a young person of your age with a firm breast and elastic skin this surgery will require a bit more attention to prevent post-operative scar widening. It will be important to perform adequate undermining to reduce tension on the closure, and use a permanent purse string or similar suture to securely hold the areolar diameter and prevent widening of the periareolar scar. Not only will this procedure reduce the size of your areola but it should also improve areolar symmetry and position. Speak to a plastic surgeon who is an experienced breast surgeon to decide if this is right for you.
Best wishes, Kenneth Dembny MD

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Areola reduction

+1

Areola reduction can be performed, but i think you should also consider a breast lift.  It might result in the best appearance.

David A. Lickstein, MD