Areola Reduction and Nipple Repositioning Possible?

I had a lumpectomy and removal of 3 lymph nodes and radiation on the left side that left me with pulled-in, nasty scars, and a nipple that faces to the side. I would like to have the areola reduced and nipple repositioned on the left side to match the right side. Is this possible?

Correction of Nipple Position during reast Reconstruction

+1

Correction of both the size and positon of the nipple and areola can be performed as a part of breast reconstruction, or revision  of breast reconstruction following lumpectomy.

The techniques include circular incision around the areola, known as a circumareolar incision, may be centered asymmetrically to correct the position of the nipple and may include excision of a ring of overly large areola to reduce it.

Symmetry after lumpectomy

+1

It sounds like you are scarred in on one side and may need a reconstructin on that side to make the breast look better.

Restoring symmetry after lumpectomy is possible

+1

Both the size and position of the areola can be adjusted surgically. What needs to be determined by a plastic surgeon is what is causing these changes so that he can address them. He may also need to adjust the opposite side to maximize your symmetry.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Lumpectomy radiation reconstruction

+1

This is a problem that I see occasionally after lumpectomy and radiation therapy. I believe that lumpectomy and radiation therapy is only good if it does not cause a breast deformity. This is a critical judgment that has to happen before this mode of treatment is chosen. If one determines that lumpectomy and radiation may cause a serious deformity, them a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction should be done.

Depending on the size of your breast the depressed scar could be removed and the tissues rearranged to correct the breast shape and the position of the nipple and areola, which could include an areolar reduction. You might also need surgery on the other breast to create symmetry.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

This is possible but it will need surgery

+1

You have a common problem that is seen in most lumpectomy and radiation patients. You will need evaluation by a plastic surgeon who does breast reconstruction. You may choose implant reconstruction or autologous reconstruction. The best treatment will depend on the shape of your breast and also the quality of your skin post radiation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon