Should I Get an Areola Reduction or Breast Lift/enlargement? (photo)

I am 22 years old and have never been pregnant. I used to have quite nice boobs but have recently lost weight and feel self conscious about their state of droopiness and the large size of my areolas. I have the savings to get the procedure, but I am unsure about scarring and regretting it if I have children. Any advice will be most appreciated.

Breast lift and areola reduction

+2

I have had many young patients within the 18-25 age range come to me with concerns like yours. I would recommend a breast lift and an areola reduction. The only way to truly evaluate your needs is with a consultation but there are options. A slight lift can be performed around the nipple with an areola reduction. A breast lift with areola reduction would give you the best lift and look long term. Most of my patients who have a breast lift "lollipop" and areola reduction love their results. As long as your scar fades to white and not a red, she can camouflage it with the natural hues of your skin. Regarding children, if breast feeding is a major concern, perhaps you should wait. All cases are not the same and some women can lose their ability to breast feed. I hope this information finds you well. 

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get an Areola Reduction or Breast Lift/enlargement?

+1

Dear Georgia, thank you for your question. I understand your concern for the size of your areolas, although perfectly normal if you have lost some degree of weight, and some degree of ptosis/sagginess of your breasts. However I agree with the other colleagues: if you are considering having children in the next 2 to 3 years, you might want to post-pone any breast surgery as the outcome after the pregnancy would be unpredictable. If on the other hand, you are not planning to have children for many more years, than a mastopexy / uplift and areola reduction might have to be considered to enhance the shape of your breast. Best step forward is to see an experienced plastic surgeon to be assessed in person.

All the best.

Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Considering breast surgery

+1

Your breasts are perfectly natural and normal.  I understand if you are unhappy with the droopiness of the nipples and a bit of lax skin after weight loss. If you are happy with the size of your breasts, you can consider a breast lift to reduce the areolar size and lift the nipples.    Adding implants would increase the size of your breasts and add projection to the upper portion.    It is best to seek a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast surgery to view pictures and review your options.  Good luck!

Michelle Spring, MD

Areolar reduction surgery

+1

HI there

Thank you for your post. Your breasts are entirely normal but you do have slightly large areolae as well as some ptosis (medical term for degree of droopiness). There are a number of procedures to reduce your areolae/uplift your breasts/ enlargement and combinations thereof but as you are young and have not had children I think you must think about things carefully. If after this you are keen to consider surgery please get in touch with your local plastic surgeon.

Paul Banwell, London UK

Good luck

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon