Areola and Nipple Repositioning After Breast Augmentation

Hi, I had breast augmentation a month and a half ago. My nipples and areola have always been asymmetrical, but now that I have breast implants, it's very noticable. I want to know if it's possible to reposition one areola and nipple so that it is symmetrical with the other side? I want to do this without too much scarring on the breast and I dont want a mastopexy. How much this procedure cost and where would the scars be? Thanks.

Nipple/areola Asymmetry after Breast Implants

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your history, pictures, and stated goals I think you would be in your best interest to avoid any further  surgery. This recommendation is made based on  consideration of the pros/cons as well as potential risk and complications  associated with further surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

Areola and Nipple Repositioning

+1

Generally any procedure designed to reduce the size of your areola to the left, right or down will leave a scr which may be incomspicuous or visible depending on your skin type. The scar from raising the areola is the least visible. An abnormally high nipple is difficult if not impossible in some cases to pull down.

Mastopexy is the procedure that lifts and repositions the breast and the areola which can leave very nice or poor scars depending  on your skin type. I have developed a technique which I call the "Internal Lift" or an internal mastopexy which can be performed during during or after an augmentation procedure. This is very effective in mild cases of brest/nipple and areola sagging which leave no additional scars, as I perform it thourgh the original breast augmentation incision.

Nipple repositioning will require incisions around areola

+1

Your situation is not an uncommon one. It's important to remember that everybody has some degree of breast and nipple asymmetry. In fact, yours is not as severe as many that I have seen. Additionally you are in the early postoperative period and still have a significant amount of swelling and postoperative change. Over the coming weeks I think you will find that this situation will improve, however it will not resolve completely.

Repositioning the nipple will require some incisions around the areola. It is much easier to raise the nipple than to lower it, and should you wish to have nipple repositioning following at least 3 months of postoperative healing, I would ask your plastic surgeon about some options. He or she will be able to provide you with detailed information with respect to your particular situation at that time.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Nipple positions AFTER Breast Augmentation

+1

Breast and nipple asymmetry is the rule of nature; Very few women have perfectly symmetrical nipples and breasts. When the nipples are pushed farther from the chest by an implant, the asymmetry is really magnified.

In your case, at this time, I would recommend you do nothing. Your breasts are still swollen and the implants are still high (especially the left implant). I would wait at least 6-8 months until everything is soft and the implants are in their normal position. At that time you would need to re-evaluate your appearance and just how important better (not complete) symmetry is important to you.

If you decide to proceed, you would require a areolar narrowing (to achieve perfect circles) and a periareolar Mastopexy scar around the new areola. To read more about it, please see the link below.

Dr. P. Aldea

Uneven nipples after augmentation

+1

As you said, your nipples were uneven before surgery. This is one of the asymmetries patients come with that is MAGNIFIED by an augemtation rather than minimized.

In order to even yours out you would need a periareolar mastopexy on your right side. This would elevate the nipple some, maybe not totally to the level of the left side, but it would create an asymmetrical scar on your breasts. As Dr. Placik sadi, I would advise that you try to accept the result as is and not do it.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsugery.com

Breast Asymmetry (uneven nipples) following augmentation or enlargement

+1

SEE VIDEO FOR SAMPLE RESULTS OF ASYMMETRY CORRECTION:

In general, my recommendation would be to leave this alone. It is impossible to move the nipple and areola without some incision and if that is your concern, there is no method to achieve repositioning of the areola without some scar even if it is small. The least invasive method to achieve this would be a crescent mastopexy on your right side if that is your desire. However, this would place both of your nipples at a relatively high point on your breast mound. It is not practical to lower your left nipple. Costs would vary from $1000 to $2500 on average.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-asymmetry.html

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.