Do You Agree With My Surgeon That I Need an Areola Lift? (photo)

I have breast augumentation scheduled, my doctor has recommended an areola lift. I am looking at 300cc silicone implants. I am 110, 5' 4". Would love some feedback to see if other doctors agree. Thanks, J

Areola lift or Breast lift

+3

Based on this single photo, it appears that you would benefit from areola lift.

However, there seems to be a significant difference between your right and left breast and you may need two different breast/nipple lift to create the best aesthetic outcome.

Hope this helps,

Ali Sajjadian, MD

Periareolar lifts and augmentation

+2

It is not possible to be sure from the photo or without an exam, but if the nipple is not too low relative to the present inframammary crease, then you don't need a lift to be filled out properly as long as you can accept that the left breast/nipple-areola is lower than the right. If the nipple-areola is too low relative to the existing inframammary crease, then I would recommend a true lift and correction of the asymmetry rather than a periareolar lift which does not actually lift the breast. This can be done with the augmentation but does add to the complexity and risk of problems or the need for a revision. In general I recommend the augmentation and accept the asymmetry as the simpler procedure that does more of what you're looking for as long as it's feasible, and then wait and see if you need the lift down the line. The limit in my experience is 2 cm for the nipple position below the inframammary crease incision behind it in the upright position with arms down. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Areola lift with breast implant placement also corrects nipple asymmetry.

+2

Yes, it looks like the areola lift will give you some lift and also correct asymmetric nipple position. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Aeola lift

+2

Based solely on the single photo you posted, it certianly looks like you could benefit form an areola lift with implants.

Is Areola Lift Needed?

+2

In my opinion, you would benefit greatly from a lift. It's really the only way to get you a great shape and get your areolas' in the proper position.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Areolar lift

+2

Judging by your photograph it does seem as though the left nipple is lower than the right.  The reason to have this addressed is that it bothers you.  The augmentation will fill out your skin and make your breasts larger.  After the breast augmentation there will still be a difference in position of the nipple.  In some cases I think a nipple asymmetry is more noticeable after a breast augmentation, not because the difference is greater but because the breasts are larger and small differences are just more obvious.

The areolar lift on the left side will help to make the difference less obvious. You should certainly get a second opinion if you feel you need more information after visiting a plastic surgeon. Thank you for the photo and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

When to do a lift with a breast augmentation

+2

At the end of your breast augmentation it looks best if your nipple-areolar complex is balanced in the center of your implant and there is no excess skin.  From your photographs it looks as though your skin envelope might be a good fit for the 300 cc implant, but the nipple postion would be low and asymmetric.  You will be much happier with the result if your plastic surgeon addresses those features during your surgery.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Breast LIft with Asymmetry

+2

It does look like you would need a lift. The right breast doesn't appear to have much tissue under the areola so you may need a different lift than the left breast or possibly no lift. But if you are unsure you should get another opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.

David E. Kim, MD

Do I need an areola lift?

+2

Both of your areolas are low, and the left is lower than the right and the left breast itself has more overhang than the right breast.  Although it is possible that you might "get away" with a breast augmentation alone without at lift (and by "get away" I mean that the implant would fill out the breast without the lower breast  remaining deflated and hanging off the implant), but you would have to accept that your nipples would still be low (breast implants fill out breasts where they are but do not lift them up), and that the left nipple and left overhang would still be lower than the right side.  If you are looking for higher nipple position OR if you are looking for better symmetry, then you will need an areolar lift (periareolar or Benelli lift) to achieve that more desirable result.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Do You Agree With My Surgeon That I Need an Areola Lift?

+2

Of course whether or not you NEED a lift of any type is up to you. But the implants will not correct the areola asymmetry. I think the overall appearance would benefit from at lease a left areola lift. It is a relatively easy recovery. You probably won't even notice it if you are having implants. And the time to do it is when the augmentation is going on so you don't have to go back later. Personally, I would agree with your surgeon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD