Areola Asymmetrical and Too High?

I had a breast up lift with an augmentation 7 days ago. The left breast had 210 cc and the right breast a 240 cc silicone low profile textured implant placed subfacial. Over all I am happy with my results, but I have noticed that right nipple seems to be smaller and more oval than the left, and I am concerned that the nipples are placed too high on the breast. Am I being overly picky or are my concerns warranted?

Breast Augmentation/Lifting Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is  much too early early  to evaluate the results of surgery;  I do however appreciate the reason for your concerns.  I would suggest that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and evaluate the results of surgery approximately 6 months from the day of surgery.

Nipples too high?

+1

to be honest I do not have experience with the normal postop course of subfascial implants, but for submuscular or subglandular implants, they appear a little high and it seems there is a very long nipple to IMF distance. this worries me a little since the natural tendency in my operations is for that distance to lengthen a bit over time, if this occurs, then surely, they will be too high. ask your surgeon what to expect.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Results

+1

Seven days post-operative is entirely too soon to even be concerned with comparing now to a final result. Give yourself time to heal.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Nipple position may be a concern

+1

Dear NoelC,

I agree that it is very early in your post op period to be making judgments about the result. However, I believe there may be reason to be concerned about the nipple position. Breast augmentation with mastopexy is a fairly complex procedure, and in my experience, the nipples should look slightly low in the early post op period, not high. As time goes on, the implants will descend, and this will make the nipples appear to rise. If this occurs in your case, the nipples will definitely be too high.

On the other hand, one can make the argument that the breast tissues will also descend post operatively, and if the breast tissues descend more than the implant does, the nipples can end up in the right location. This usually happens in very damaged (stretched) skin such as with post bariatric surgery patients (which I assume you are not). 

Bottom line: Different surgeons have different techniques for this procedure. Your result may be the expected outcome for the technique used. Only time will tell, wait six months and see. Best of luck.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD

Breast lift asymmetries

+1

A breast lift combined with augmentation is one of the most challenging procedures plastic surgeons do.  Your breasts were not symmetrical before nor will they ever be identical. It looks as if you will have a very nice result. Your breasts will change a great deal in the next 6 months.  As your breasts settle your nipples may become rounder.  If they are slightly off they will still be normal.  Your lower breasts will likely lengthen and your nipples may end up a little too high.  This is common if you look through photos.  How much they stretch varies from person to person. Be patient and stay in touch with your surgeon.  Don't spend time staring at your breasts in the mirror.  It serves no purpose except to cause you anxiety.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Be patient and wait to see your final result.

+1

You will see your final results in about 6 months.  You have visible swelling.  Also keep in mind that when the surgeon reduces your areola, they are using a standard measuring tool almost like a "cookie cutter".  They will most likely even out with time.  After a year if you are still not happy with your results, talk to your surgeon.

Please wait

+1

You just had surgery and it will take few months before you can see the final result. If you are not happy at that time,please send pictures. Your surgeon is the person that you should share your concern .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Nipple too high after a breast lift

+1

It is possible to push the nipple up too high after a breast lift, and ordinarily we like the nipple set 2cm above the breast fold, and near the mid point on the upper arm. The asymmetries in the nipple will work out over time, however we can't judge the final appearance of the nipple height until the the implant settles in with the breast envelope. A problem could develop if the implant centers just below the nipple and gives the nipple an upward tilt. You may have first noticed the issue if the nipple is more difficult to cover over the top of the bra. Let us know in six months as to how things are going.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast lift with implants early post-op appearance

+1

A breast lift with implants never looks "right" at seven days post-op. For one thing, swelling distorts the appearance at this early date. Over the next six weeks the tissue will relax and the implants will settle. Be patient and you may be surprised how much your breasts improve over time. 

James W. Ward, MD (retired)
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Areolar asymmetry

+1

I can see what you mean, so I think that your concerns are warranted.  Overall, I think that you have a nice early result.  I wouldn't be too concerned about the areolar asymmetry, however the nipples are a bit high.  Having said that, it is very early days still, so you need to let everything settle and I hope that you will be very pleased in a few months time.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon