Are These Areas of Spit Sutures? (photo)

I am 5 weeks post op after having Breast Reduction/Lift and Impants OUT WITHOUT REPLACEMENT. I realize that's unusual but I didn't want any more upkeep. So, just after 4 weeks I noticed discharge, yellowish with darker red that lasted for about 4 days and is gone now. I assume I'm spitting stitches. Is this what that looks like? The photo shows the infra-mammary crease. Thanks.

Breast Lift Spitting Sutures-See Your Surgeon

+3

Thank you  for your question.

The photos do appear to show "Spitting Sutures" in your suture lines. This is common and these are "absorbable sutures."

I recommend that you see your doctor and have the Spitting Sutures removed. The redness around these areas is intense and not removing the sutures could lead to infection.

Are These Areas of Spit Sutures?

+1

Your assessment appears to be spot on. But better to have a PS see the areas in person to determine the exact diagnosis. 

Suture Related Problems after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, it is most likely that you are dealing with superficial suture related discharge. These issues usually resolve spontaneously and/or with the help of your plastic surgeon (trimming the involved sutures).

Best wishes; hopefully you'll be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

At 5 weeks after surgery, suture related skin openings is most likely

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  Yes, it is most likely that the areas that you have presented in the photos are related to suture material.  At 5 weeks after surgery, small openings at the incision line is almost certainly related the suture material.  

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Spitting Sutures after Breast Lift

+1

Some sutures will spit in certain individuals after any surgery.  Without any signs of infection, these sutures can be trimmed or removed for comfort. 

Spitting sutures

+1

It certainly sounds like form your description that it was spitting sutures. Your pictures suggest this, if you have repeated drainage it is wise to see your surgeon.

You arre doing fine

+1

The areas that you have mentioned are healing and you have noticed the sutures that "spit". You are doing well and continue to follow up with your surgeon

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Are These Areas of Spit Sutures?

+1

The timing, the appearance and the story all fit the diagnosis of spitting sutures. The ones that stopped draining probably no longer have suture material. The area around the areola may be one also. The sutures will all dissolve, so this won't last too long.