How many areas will you do liposuction on, per surgery?

How many different areas of the body will you operate on per surgery. For example if I wanted both arms, upper and lower back, upper and lower abdomen, and inner thighs. Also, how much would this cost typically?

Liposuction Costs

+1
Usually you can get your full abdomen and the inner thighs done in 1 procedure and your midback, axillae and arms in a 2nd procedure just 1-2 days apart if you do it the best way which is tumescent lipo under local anesthesia with the micro cannulas. cost is roughly $5-6000 each on special. You are back to work in 2 days and back to the gym in 1 week. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Safety is top priority when determining how many areas can be treated.

+1
The number of areas that can be treated in one procedure depends on the person, their health and the amount of fat that would be removed overall. I have treated anywhere from 1 to 12 areas in one procedure. To treat the areas you listed above, I would charge between $4,000-12,000 depending on the amount of fat to be removed. I can give you a better estimate with photos or an in person consultation. 

German Newall, MD

Lipo cost

+1
As an outpatient procedure in most states the limit is 5 liters of aspirate. So depending on how much fat the doctor thinks each area will give up he or she would plan accordingly. On larger people you can remove  all 5 from just abdominal and waist area. So it really matters what you look like, ad photos for a better answer please.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Multiple Areas

+1
Liposuction can be performed on multiple areas during one surgery.  The cost will vary depending upon the size of the patient and the size of the area to be liposuctioned.  For example, arms are less expensive than Inner and outer thighs.  Most surgeons will offer a discount when multiple areas of liposuction are combined into one procedure.

The limiting factor is not the number of areas but the total amount of fat to be aspirated.  In my practice, I limit any liposuction procedure to 5 liters of total fat to be removed.  If more than 5 liters of fat is to be aspirated, I would suggest the patient break the procedure up into two separate surgeries.

Consult your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding the safest amount of liposuction that can be done for you during one procedure.  Find a surgeon you trust who can show you multiple before and after photos of patients similar to you in size and weight.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Multiple areas of liposuction

+1
The answer to your question all depends upon how much fatty tissue is being removed from each area. Your plastic surgeon should be able to estimate the amount of fatty tissue that needs to be removed. I try to limit the amount of liposuction aspirate to about 6 Liters per case or less. If you are very heavy, you might end up needing to do your liposuction in stages.

Many surgeons charge per area treated and others charge per liter of fat removed. So the cost for your procedure could vary significantly depend upon what condition you are in and who performs your surgery. A very rough estimate might be about $8,000-$10,000.  

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1
Without pictures or an exam, it is very difficult to give you sound advice. In general, the cost of liposuction surgery depends on the areas and amount of fat removal. Operating room time and anesthesia time is determined on a hourly basis. Without seeing you, I can not estimate the length of the procedure. In my NJ practice, it costs $5999 for two hours of liposuction. This fee includes the board certified professional fee, board certified anesthesia fee, and medicare approved surgicenter fee.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Multiple areas can be done at once

+1
Patients have done many areas at once for Smartlipo, but this may depend on the size. IT is best to first consult with your surgeon to get a better understanding of how many areas will need to be treated. Good luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Multiple areas are commonly treated during liposuction.

+1
Most surgeons bill by the Areas to be treated. There may be additional fees for patients with very high BMI. If the surgeon thinks that too many areas might be unsafe the surgery might be staggered.

Liposuction to different areas

+1
It is very reasonable to have multiple areas suctioned at once.  The more important factor is how much volume of fat is being suctioned out. The ASPS suggests less than 5 liters of aspirate be removed to avoid high volume liposuction. High volume liposuction can be done safely but needs close attention to the patient's initial health, how much fluid that person gets and how that person is reacting to the surgery in the 12 hours postoperatively. For that reason, many people who have more than the 5 liters removed are asked to stay overnight for monitoring, oftentimes with a catheter in place to monitor fluid status.
Suctioning small amounts from multiple areas is harder on the surgeon than suctioning large amounts from one or two areas. As a result, the cost is likely to go up.  Suctioning all of those areas at once to a very thorough effect may take 4 hours or more.  Liposuction is priced differently at different centers but four hours could be in the $7000-10000 range.  
Price is important but absolutely should not be the most important factor in choosing your surgeon. More expensive does not mean better but bargain surgeons would scare me if I were the patient. See a few. Get a few quotes. Find someone you like and trust in an office that makes you feel like the details are attended to.  Your results are permanent and should be treated like any other decision that is going to last 40, 50, 60 years or longer.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1
Liposuctioning all of those areas at one time is reasonable.  This may cost $7000 on the low end.

Try to research this to find the surgeon who consistently produces the results you would expect. Look at reviews on this site and see who gets the surgery right every time.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.