Is This Area of Breakdown Following Breast Reduction Surgery Look Normal? (photo)

Wednesday I will be 4 weeks post op.PS noted I did have significant swelling in my right breast and noted that Area's of Breakdown no bigger than the size of a dime at where the "T "of the incision meets is " Normal" The breakdown looks to be about the size of a Nickel and has the appearance of ( as weird as this sound) the inside of my breast "falling out". No pain or redness. Please tell me if I should be worried, and will I scar more than the average person?

Wound breakdown after breast reduction

+1
Your wound opened at the intersection of the T scars which happens on occasion. It should be observed and will go on to heal secondarily. Continue to follow up with your surgeon. The breast is not falling out.

Breakdown at the "T" closure in a breast reduction

+1

You have a more common wound healing issue after a breast redution using an anchor incision or inverted-T closure. Usually these go on to heal with local wound care.  On occasion a small scar revision is necessary but this is done several months after things have healed.

Breakdown following breast reduction

+1

This amount of breakdown following a breast reduction is not at all uncommon. From the pictures it does not appear to be infected and it does appear to be healing normally--just a little slower than ideal perhaps. It should proceed to heal completely but you should continue to see your surgeon and make sure he or she is monitoring the situation as healing progresses. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Area of “Breakdown” after Breast Reduction Normal?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The area of “breakdown” at the "T” junction is not uncommonly seen after breast reduction surgery. Based on your pictures, I think the  wound looks clean and the tissue expose appears to be healthy. You should go on to heal nicely within the next few weeks.  The scar in this area may be wider than the remainder of your scars;  time will tell if  scar revision surgery will be helpful to you.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.