Are There Risks with Liposuction on the Pubic Mound?

I had a lower body lift done about 3 months ago and am not satisfied with the look of my mons area. It bulges and is much larger than I think is normal. What are the risks of liposuction to the mons area that I should consider before doing such a procedure?

Cosmetic Enhancement of the Female Mons Pubis

+3

Women long to have a flat tummy -- and love the results of their new appearance -- whether after a tummy tuck or Body lift. If not recognized before the removal of the excess skin and fat of the abdomen, any "bulge" or laxity of the pubic region will become very evident after they have a beautiful, slender abdomen.

One has to evaluate the region to determine if there is loose skin, extra fat, or both -- and treat the problem appropriately. Liposuction is very safe and can lead to a nice enhancement in patients that only have excess fat removed from the Mons area.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of mons

+3

The mons tends to remain swollen for a longer period of time than other areas. If your surgery was only 3 months ago, there is a good chance that significant swelling still exists.

Every procedure has its risks, of course. Liposuction of the mons is a wonderful procedure if the problem is excess fat, not if there is excess skin or fibrous tissue, as is often the case in the mons area.

Alternatives at the 6-month timepoint might include liposuction, direct excision of mons tissue with direct elevation and resection of skin (mons lift), or removal of skin alone. In the case of a patient who has had an upper body lift or abdominoplasty, this can usually be accomplished through the same incision.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Liposuction risks

+3

Great question Lisa -

At my practice, we see many patients who have successfully lost significant amounts of weight. If you've already had a total body lift and are still unhappy with your contour, careful analysis needs to be made.

The most central question is do you still have extra skin (and is the quality of that skin adequate in terms of elasticity) or do you have some fullness under the skin?

This key distinction will determine whether liposuction or additional tissue excision will be best for you.

Liposuction is generally a safe procedure. Rare risks include: pain, bleeding, infection, scar, asymmetry, surface irregularity. More unusual risks would also include fat embolism or internal organ injury.

You should wait for about 6 months after your first procedure to allow swelling to completely resolve from your first procedure as well as allow the healing process to mature.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Mons Pubis Lipo

+2

Odds are that you will need a combination of liposuction plus excision of excess skin to adequately lift and reduce the mons pubis. The risks of liposuction for the mons pubis really are no different than risks of liposuction anywhere else: scarring, infection, pain, asymmetry, unevenness, dimpling, seroma, and so on.

You should discuss with your plastic surgeon how he/she plans on going about the procedure so that you understand where all potential scar may lie, and what the ideal treatment for you will be.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Risks Associated with Liposuction

+1

We occasionally see patients who’ve undergone lower body lift surgery and are unhappy with the appearance of their pubic region. This occurs for a variety of reasons including saggy skin, excess fat, and adverse lower body lift scarring. The treatment of aesthetic deformities of the pubic region is dependent upon the cause of the condition.

In the majority of postoperative patients with aesthetic deformities of the pubis, liposuction alone provides adequate treatment. When fat collections are accompanied by loose saggy skin, additional maneuvers may be necessary. In this case, the pubic skin may require an upward lift with simultaneous tightening of the skin. These options provide excellent aesthetic results and are associated with low complication rates.

Although these procedures are considered to be extremely safe, complications may occasionally occur. In some cases, bleeding, pain, infection, and scarring may occur. In other cases, aesthetic deformities related to contour, sag, and asymmetry may occur.

If you’re considering revisional surgery, it’s important to understand these issues. It’s also important to make sure that they’re thoroughly discussed with your plastic surgeon. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Are there risks with Liposuction on the pubic mound?

+1

The typical risks are bruising, swelling and possibly temporary numbness.  These are valid concerns that should be discussed with your surgeon. 

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Most of The Risks Are The Same As Treating Other Areas With Liposuction

+1

You're most likely still recovering from your lower body lift as this procedure tends to be more invasive than other procedures. You are probably still experiencing swelling, and swelling of the mons does tend to resolve itself more slowly than other areas of your body. As a result, you should wait a few more months (at least 3 more) to see how the area changes. If, after this time, you are still unhappy with its appearance, talk to a plastic surgeon.

Liposuction can certainly help to reshape the area. I would recommend the ultrasonic method. Risks of treating the area include all those related to targeting other areas (e.g. bruising, swelling, bleeding) but can also include some discomfort during urination. You may also need to address any excess skin, which would involve something more effective than liposuction.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction of Mons Pubis works well

+1

The Mons Pubis is an area of the body that has long been ignored by plastic surgeons.  Many PS do not address the Mons area during a TT and therefore it appears out of proportion after the procedure.  You will probably need a surgical revision to restore the Mons to a more youthful appearance.  This may or may not require skin/fat removal, consult your TT PS or a different BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON if he/she is not comfortable in fixing the problem.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of Mons Pubis

+1
lisa99
Liposuction of Mons Pubis is no more dangerous than anywhere else on your body.  However, based on my experience, liposuction alone is not the ideal answer for this area.
Mons Pubis is often protruding and large in patients such as you.  I deal with it at the time of the tummy tuck or body lift.  If I see patients who previously had a tummy tuck and are left with a large mons pubis, I treat it by a combination of liposuction AND removal of excess skin.  I design the my cuts so that when it's all done, you have no new scars (we simply cut out the extra skin and then bring it up to where your tummy tuck scar is)
Unless you have just a little fat pouch and no real skin excess, liposuction alone would not give you a nice result.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Liposuction of pubic mound can work.

+1

Hi.

The pubic mound has much lymphatic drainage, and liposuction of this area can lead to prolongued swelling. But we have seen a number of patients with good long term results.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)