Are Fillers Safe to Use in the Tear Trough?

Is it safe to use fillers in the tear trough area? I had a consult for my under eye hollows and the injector didn't seem confident enough with the area and I'd like another opinion.

Fat Transfer as a Filler Option for Tear Trough

+2

Fat transfer, in the hands of a skilled physican practiced in the technique, is an option for the tear trough area.

Fat transfer gives a natural look using the patient's own "fat" and can be of value to the patient that wants to freshen their appearance. Fat transfer may require a touch up treatment in several months and proves long lasting after touch up.

All injections around or near the eye involve extra consideration and explanation to the patient. The patient needs to have a thorough discussion with the physician about all options and the risks involved.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough injections

+2

Tear trough injections are commonly done, but are technically more difficult than other areas in the face.

The results can be spectacular, softening the eye area and reducing the appearance of hollowness.

We advise only using hyaluronic acid fillers for this region (Juvederm, Restylane). There are specific paradigms to be followed to minimize complications and swelling, and your doctor should be comfortable and experienced before you attempt an injection in this risky area.

Tear Trough Correction

+1

Getting a second opinion is always a good idea.  It is important to be informed and knowledgeable before starting any procedure.  I am not sure why the injector didn’t think you were a good candidate for tear trough correction.  Perhaps your issue would be best addressed with surgery or he/she did not think you had tear trough deformity.  Whatever the case, I suggest seeking the guidance of a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon to investigate your options.  Good Luck!  

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

They are safe, but like all injections, there are risks

+1

Filler injections into the tear trough area are not as commonly done as those into the nasolabial fold and into the lips themselves. The level of the injection has to be deep enough so that the bluish hue of the filler does not show through the think lower eyelid skin. It sounds like the person you met with did not feel comfortable with injecting that area so try to locate someone in your area who has done enough injections into the tear trough to feel comfortable and show you some results of previous patients. No injection is without risk, particularly around the eyes, so make sure you have a thorough discussion of the risks and benefits ahead of time.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon