Are Adult Braces Worth the Trouble?

Are adult braces work the trouble? I am older and am wondering if it's too late to get adult braces, if not physically then practically?

Adult Braces

+1

Braces work as well in adults as in children.  If you do not like you smile I would encourage you to see an orthodontist for orthodontic treatment.  I use a clear braces system in my office called SimpliClear.  It use clear wire and clear brackets which blend in well with the teeth so as not to be unsightly.  Remember your self esteem is very important; you don't have to live with crooked teeth.

Fairfield Orthodontist

Braces can enhance good health at any age

+1

Fully 30% of my patients are adults, and many are in their 50's and 60's.  My oldest orthodontic patient was 83.  We did a specific minor procedure to make it easier for her to clean her lower front teeth.  Improving the look and function of your smile and bite can pay dividends for life.  Luckily adults' teeth move almost as easily as kids' teeth.  With life expectancies ever increasing, the challenge is not just living longer, but maintaining quality of life as we age.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Braces Bring About Many Benefits

+1

It is never too late to get braces, as long as the bone support. root length, and periodontal environment can handle dental movement.  Once teeth are moved to new positions, creating a stable bite and possible alignment for future crowns, bridges, and/or implants, the peridontal envrionment is actually improved, thereby increasing longenvity of your teeth.

It is easier to take care of your teeth (brushing, flossing, dental cleaning, etc.) when your teeth are straight and in alignment, so there truly is a benefit to having your teeth aligned and bite improved, at any age.

Our oldest patient is in her 80s, and routinely we see adults in their 60s.

Tony Cucalon III DDS
San Francisco Orthodontist

Adult braces are helpful

+1

Many patients in my practice are undergoing orthodontics. Even minor crowding on the lower can lead to periodontal problems due to the difficulty to clean them well.

Crowded teeth also trap stain easier. Not correcting crowding as we age only gets worse over time. Invisalign is a wonderful option for adults if they are a candidate.

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Age limit for braces? No way!

+1

Hi, no one is too old for braces! Depending on your situation, you may be able to get your teeth straightened in about 6 months with a system called Six Month Smiles.  If you want straighter teeth, but you don't want to go through the "trouble" of a complete comprehensive braces system that often takes 2 years, you could consider a 6 month option that uses simple movements...and the braces and wires are white too.

Only you can decide if it's more trouble than you're willing to go through to straighten your smile, but nowadays it's much less trouble than it used to be.

Chris Bowman, DDS
Charlotte Cosmetic Dentist

"A woman is never too old to become more kissable!" (a man also)

+1

If you can relate to the above statement, then you are not too late.  My full treatment patients have gone into their late 70s and as long as the health of the bone structure is good, then there are few limitations.  Obviously, the older patient typically has more crowns and bridges, etc.  These do create more challenges, but as a group, orthodontists are very creative.  So go for it young lady or man!  You are only as old as you accept.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

Never too late for braces or Invisalign.

+1

It is never too late to have a beautiful healthy smile. We see many adult patients who are embarking on a new career, have recently divorced and are "dating" again, or just feel they need a "juvenation". Your smile may be one of your most important assets whether you are meeting new people or want to be sure you are at your best in all social situations. is it worth it? Everyone will have to answer that question for themselves, but there is no doubt that a beautiful, healthy smile is priceless!

R. William McNeill, DDS, MS
Mercer Island Orthodontist

Adult braces are becoming more popular

+1

About 40% of my orthodontic practice consists of adults. More and more, adults are becoming educated about the beneftis of straight teeth. Tooth alignment can be changed at any age if your gums and bone structure are healthy.

Orthodontic treatment at later stages in life can dramatically improve your personal appearance and self-esteem. Improving the health of your teeth and gums is equally important. Crooked teeth and a bad bite can contribute to gum and bone loss, tooth decay, abnormal wear of the tooth enamel and surfaces, headaches and jaw joint (TMJ/TMD) pain.

Mazyar Moshiri, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

All a matter of personal preference and periodontal condition

+1

This is a question that can only be answered by determining your own feelings and objectives. There are a lot of benefits to straight teeth beyond having a beautiful smile.

Straight teeth are easier to clean, and several studies have shown the link between heart disease and periodontal disease. Age in itself is not a contraindication for orthodontic treatment. We recently started treatment for a 64 year-old woman requiring extractions and temporary attachment devices (mini-implants).

A young person with poor hygiene, and a poor periodontal environment is not a good candidate for orthodontics. An adult with a healthy periodontium is likely able to undergo treatment. Certain medical procedures or medications may also preclude you from treatment.

People are living longer and expecting a better quality of life. If the value of having and keeping straight teeth is important to you, then you should think about speaking to an orthodontist about treatment options. Obviously there are considerations such as finances and lifestyle, but ultimately, these are factors that you will have to weigh on your own.

Jason K. Tam, DDS
Toronto Orthodontist

To each his own

+1

My oldest patient that underwent orthodontics was in their 60's.  There are many reasons and benefits, but ultimately, only YOU can decide if it is worth the effort.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist