Staph Infection in Tummy Tuck Incision

I am 2 weeks out from my TT/lipo procedure. 1 drain was removed 5 days after the surgery. The other was left in place to do its job. The next day I started feeling severe tenderness at the drain site and 3 in up. Friday the dr removed it. Within 1 hr, I was blown up like a balloon on that side. I was told possible seroma. Sat it got worse,red,hot,and painful. Went to dr and he drained it, pus came out. Culture was taken and + for staph. It is cut open for drainage. Its been 4 days since onset. How Hard is It to Recover from This?

Infection after tummy tuck

+2

Unfortunately, infections do occur.  Antibiotics should treat the redness in the skin--be sure to take the entire course of antibiotics (don't stop early).  Drainage is the treatment for an abscess, so it's good that the pus is coming out, even though I'm sure it's stressful to see.  You're on the right path.  Hang in there, and things should improve over the next week or so.

Infection after a tummy tuck

+2

As long as the fluid is draining freely out of the cavity and you are on the appropriate (effective) antibiotic, the infection should resolve fairly quickly. You should be followed closely (every few days) by your plastic surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Staph Infection in Tummy Tuck Incision

+2

The infection is controlled by incision & drainage, antibiotics, local wound care. Follow the course you are on and this will resolve. From MIAMI 

Infection after Tummy Tuck

+2

Usually after the infection is drained and you are on antibiotics the infection resolves fairly quickly.  Continue to follow with your plastic surgeon and I am sure you will do fine.  You may need a minor scar revision, but this would be down the road several months.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Infection after Tummy Tuck

+2

If the infection was drained early and fully, as well as antibiotics started, you should recover relatively quickly.

The wound should be examined frequently to monitor your response and healing. Daily saline dressings changes are simple and helpful to promote healing.

Stephan Baker, MD

Staph infections after tummy tuck

+2

All infections after procedures are emotional experiences.  If the infection was limited to the skin and fat close to the drain then it should resolve relatively quickly.  However if the infection is deeper and under the skin which was moved during the procedure then it can take quite a bit longer.  You should continue to discuss your concerns with your PS.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Staph infection after abdominoplasty

+2

As long as the seroma is drained and the patient is on antibiotics, staph infection will resolve rapidly. But if the infection worsens iv antibiotics and exploration of the surgery site may be indicated.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Wound infection a possible complication of tummy tuck surgery

+1

It sounds like you developed a wound infection following your tummy tuck.  The infected area which was red swollen and tender was properly incised and drained.  Most likely it was also left open to heal after the infection has cleared up.  Normally, healing will be complete after the infection has cleared.  Any widened or hypertrophic scars can be treated with scar treatments or revision surgery if necessary. 

James Tang, MD