What Filler Can I Use After Recently Using Aquamid?

There was no difference at all after the first treatment so a month later I had another full treatment and again I cannot see much difference. I am very dissappointed as the results I got from a temporary filler were amazing. When is it safe to use a temporary filler again? And what filler do you recommend? Not in my lips but on the wrinkles above them.

Wrinkles around mouth

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

The best option for management of wrinkles above the lips would be a hyaluronic acid, such as Juvederm Ultra or Restylane.  In experienced hands, these injectable fillers produce excellent results for correction of lip wrinkles.  Excessive use of these fillers or too superficial of an injection may lead to the Tyndall Effect which leaves a classic bluish hue in the underlying skin. 

Regarding the use of an injectable filler following previous treatments with Aquamid, at a month you should be safe to undergo treatments with an alternative filler such as a hyaluronic acid. Since Aquamid is considered a permanent filler, subjecting the previously treated area to new treatments may increase your chance of infection. I would recommend discussing these issues with your clinician so that you may better understand the risks and benefits of proceeding with a secondary treatment.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.