Approximately How Long Would the Swelling Remain After a Septo Rhinoplasty?

I had a primary septo rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago. It was an open rhinoplasty. The nasal bone was fractured and the size of the bone was reduced. The tip and nostrils were also reduced. However, the tip and nostrils still look big. The swelling is more on the right side. The skin on the tip is thick. The swelling has increased after I started work 3 weeks post-op. Will taking a break for a week longer help?

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Some swelling may take up to a year to resolve.   This is the reason revisions are not done until a year later.  The majority is gone over the first 6-8 weeks.  I doubt that your activity is affecting this.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Swollen nose 3 weeks after open Rhinoplasty

+1

Open Rhinoplasty will have a swollen nasal tip for 6-9 months...3 weeks is way to soon and it's normal for the tip to be swollen and hard at this point. 

Nose surgery

+1

The first stage of healing requires at least 6 weels, with open rhinoplasty it may take longer . In ordrer to reduce swelling icing is proven to br helpful . You can put frozen pease on top of nose (between eyes) especially when you are laying down. Anti inflammatort medicationd ( over the counter ) such as advil is safe to use at this time. Taking more time off is not necessary at this time, it is not going to make any differences.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

As you have probably been told by your surgeon, you are very early in the recovery process. If your recovery were a baseball game, you are in the first inning (I hope you don't mind sports analagies). There are two types of swelling: short-term and long-term swelling. Short-term swelling, which includes they nose and eyes, generally lasts 3-4 weeks. Then there is the long-term swelling, which is milder but resolves very slowly. The part of the nose that stays swollen the longest is the nasal tip, especially with the open approach. This is not a criticism of the open approach, which many surgeons including me, find very helpful when significant tip work is needed. This swelling will be noticeable to you and maybe close friends and family but usually not to the general public. It will likely be a full year before all of the swelling has resolved and you will see the final result.

Joseph Fata, MD

+1

The "open" rhinoplasty on average thats longer to have tip edema decrease. Usually 6 weeks, but that is an average time. Best to discuss with your chosen surgeon. 

Nasal healing and return to work

+1

You are very early in the healing process. The nose will continue to improve up to at least a year. I am not sure what type of work you do but, at three weeks you should be able resume most avtivities except contact sports.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Recovery after rhinoplasty

+1

Recovery after a rhinoplasty surgery is a process which could be subdivided into an acute recovery and slow recovery phases.  Acute recovery usually takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks: this is when most (about 80%) of swelling gets resolved, bruises disappear, nasal crusting and mucosal edema resolve.  The thickness of the nasal skin and the extent of rhinoplasty surgery (small corrections versus full dorsal/tip/septal surgery) are the factors that affect the speed of the recovery; thick skin and more extensive surgery usually prolonging the resolution of edema.  It is, however, uncommon to see an inrease of swelling at 3 weeks postoperatively.  Infection, although uncommon, could cause this -- in this case there should be increase in redness and tenderness over the area.  Early postoperative subcutaneous fibrosis (scarrig under the skin) is another possible reason, especially in thick skin individuals.  What type of work do you do? Any pollution/ dusty environment that could cause inflammatory or allergic reaction? I usually don't recommend staying out of work for longer than 3 weeks unless the above factors come into play.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD