How Soon to Approach Your PS About Considering Revision to Go Bigger? (photo)

I got 286cc two months ago. I was a 32A and now measure a 32D (but those bras are already getting too big). Cup size is irrelevant though since I still look small. My question is, how long should I wait to approach my PS about possibly wanting to go larger? And how much larger can I expect him to say I would need to go. My main issue is that I feel small naked and in any clothing that I'm not wearing a push-up bra and a really tight shirt. (All images are 2 months post op)

Revision Breast Augmentation Surgery

+3

In general, I would suggest waiting 4-6 months after surgery before determining if the final size of your breasts are too small, too large or just right. This amount of time allows for reshaping of your breasts and complete resolution of your post-operative swelling.

Wait Time before Breast Implant Revision

+3

You need to wait about another 10 months before undergoing a revision to enlarge you breast implants. One thing you need to consider, though, is that you have a very nice result to what most people consider ideal. You should be able to buy clothing that fits well and you look very natural. The happiest women in my practice are those who have come from larger breasts to what you have. There are problems with larger breasts, including droop, weight, not fitting clothing, higher risk of thinning the breast tissue and more scar, etc. that you need to consider before deciding to go larger.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Bigger is not the solution

+2

At size 32 each 100 cc's of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.  The 286 cc implants produced approximately 3 cup size increase to a D.  Unfortunately, you are asymmetrical, your implants are bottoming out and have descended.  This occurred because the implants were not totally sub-pectoral and have extruded inferiorly and laterally.  Placing larger implants will produce the same results and you will be dissatisfied.  I recommend a new technique called Implant Exchange with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to exchange your implants, reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall gives maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Small silicone implants placed totally retro-pectoral are more stable long term, look and feel more natural, less likely to ripple and are less likely to need revision.  This technique will give you the push-up bra look without the push-up bra.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Revisionary Breast Surgery to “Go Bigger” after Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+2

There is no specific time period necessary or “standard”. Most plastic surgeons would suggest that you wait 3 to 6 months after surgery to evaluate the end results of the surgery and before determining whether additional surgery would be indicated.

It won't hurt to open the dialogue with your plastic surgeon now in a calm and constructive fashion communicate your goals  as clearly as possible; I find the use of goal pictures very helpful during this communication process. Obviously, clear communication will be key;  both you and your plastic surgeon will want to make sure that your goals are achieved, while avoiding complications as well.  I find the use of goal pictures helpful during this communication process.

Implant revision timing

+2

I usually have patients wait at least 4 months or longer before considering a revision to go larger. This allows the swelling to go down and the tissues to stretch a bit.

Going to larger implants

+2

You seem to have a nice result, but dimensionally could benefit from a larger and slightly wider implant. I typically recommend 3 months minimum before revision.

If you wanted to go slightly larger, up to a 339cc MP+ profile may work, otherwise if you wanted a bigger jump in size, a high profile implant of appropriate base width would be perfect. That would likely be in the 375-450cc HP range

It's a very easy, straightforward surgery to go larger when starting with a nice result like yours.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

When Can a Breast Revision be Done for Larger Implants?

+1

It is not unusual for women to wish they had larger implants, you should wait at least 6 months and get used to your new breasts. You may decide you like them the way they are, however if you still want to go larger, you should discuss the possibility with your plastic surgeon. It is hard to decide on size prior to surgery, this is why I have my patients do the "rice test" so that they have a good idea of what their breasts will look like. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

How Soon to Approach Your PS About Considering Revision to Go Bigger?

+1

Allowc at least 4 to 6 months healing than increase in size would be acceptable with additional fees. 

How Soon to Approach Your PS About Bigger Implants.

+1

I usually ask patients to give it three months before making decisions about new implants to make sure the changes from surgery are stable.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Meeting expectations in breast augmentation surgery

+1

You should give it about 9 months to one year before you consider changing to a larger size. I like to give my patients an objective range so that in the end the patient understands that the implant we selected is the best implanf for their tissue characteristics, anatomy and breast dimensions.  We use the Vectra 3D imaging system to help with implant size selection and patient education.  In over 1 year of use and over 100 breast augmentation patients I have not had 1 patient  whose expectations were not met or exceeded.