What is the best way to approach removing silicone implant and cartilage grafts from nasal tip?

10 months ago I had an I shaped silicone implant and cartilage grafts from my ear to refine my nasal tip and increase projection. I want both removed and my nose returned as close to the pre-op state as possible. What are my options for removal and what is the best way to approach this without compromising the structure of the nose? Can this be done under a closed procedure? Some of the cartilage grafts were sutured to the silicone implant to keep it in place.

Removing Nasal Implants

+1
Removing Nasal Implants especially if they have been sewn in place including attached to cartilage implants may or may not require an open approach (safest). The prior operative note would be very important for your surgeon to review prior to this procedure. 

What is the best way to approach removing silicone implant and cartilage grafts from nasal

+1
Cases such as yours, in my experience, are best done by an open approach. Once the silicone implant is removed, it is important to assess just what was done to your nose and the condition of your existing cartilage, then work from there to achieve what sounds like a more natural less sculpted look. Good communication with a highly experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will help assure that you achieve this time the results you desire.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty to remove implants and grafts

+1
Dear novemberrain821,

• It is difficult to say whether this can be done in a closed fashion
  • If you can get a previous op report, that would be great
  • You should visit a revision rhinoplasty specialist who can walk you through how to get to your goal
  • Even the removal of grafts may not get you back to your original nose...and you may even be able to get a better result

Best regards,
Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Revision rhinoplasty to remove silicone implant and cartilage grafts

+1
Before embarking on a revision rhinoplasty it is best to have the operative report from the primary rhinoplasty with you to show to your new prospective surgeon. You can also go back to the original rhinoplasty surgeon as well. The silicone implant is usually pretty straightforward to remove, however the cartilage grafting may require delicate dissection to get those  grafts out and removed. For many examples of rhinoplasty, please see the link below

Silicone needs to be removed.

+1
Without any pre and post operative pictures, I can only comment on what I think will be best for you.  I am assuming that your result is not very good, since you want the silicone and cartilage grafts removed. Once you have had a rhinoplasty operation with poor results, it is much more difficult to fix.  First, you need to be evaluated by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, who will give you the proper options. Rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty are difficult operations to do well.

The options are 1) simply removing the silicone and cartilage, which may or may not leave you with residual deformity; 2) removing silicone and cartilage and making sure that the nose has symmetry and improving the nose with the nasal structures that remain; or 3) removing the silicone and cartilage and trying to improve all the features of your nose with your nasal structures and the ear cartilage graft, with the possibility of using septal cartilage graft (that is, if you still have septal cartilage). 

I know it will be difficult to choose which option you would want to take.  This is why choosing the right rhinoplasty surgeon is most important.  It will be your surgeon and you coming up with the right strategy to give you a better natural look.  Good luck!

Tae Ho Kim, MD