Will Applying Slices of Potato or Cucumber on the Lower Eyelids Help the Healing Process (Swelling) of a Blepharoplasty?

I had upper and lower blepharoplasty 12 days ago. I am happy with the preliminary results, but not with the swelling on my lower eyelids. It is going down but very slow. I wonder if applying slices of potato on my lower eyelids will help to decrease the inflammation faster. Thank you for your answer.

Ice And Head Elevation Not Cucumbers Best For Swelling After Eyelid Surgery

+5

Thank you for your question. The most important reatment for swelling and bruising after blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery is elevation of your head above your heart for the first week or 2 and ice chips placed over gauze sponges over your eyes and allowing them to melt for the first 24 hours after your surgery are the most effective and best treatments to reduce eyelid swelling and bruising.

Cucumbers and potatoes on the surface of the eyelids provide no benefit for reducing swelling and I would discourage any foreign material which potentially could irritate the skin or worse allow bacteria to cause an infection.

Cucumber and Potato Slices on Eyelids Following Blepharoplasty

+2

Putting vegetables on your eyes will only help healing if you eat them afterwards. The nutrients and vitamins and anti-inflammatory properties will only get into your system, and eventually to the healing eyelid tissues, by eating the vegetables.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon