Here's how to properly apply Retin-A (tretinoin cream):
• Retin-A must be applied at night.
• Apply a thin layer (pea size amount) at night over a cleansed, dry face. A small amount goes a long way.
• Don’t apply cream to damp skin because it can cause irritation.
• Avoid getting tretinoin in corners of your mouth, eyes and nose, as it can irritate these sensitive areas.
• In the morning, wash your face with a mild facial cleanser.
• After washing apply a gentle moisturizer.
• Use a sun screen that is separate from your moisturizer, (the effectiveness of an SPF in a moisturizer breaks down when blended with other ingredients)
• When first using tretinoin, start slowly and apply it every other night or every 3 nights. Side effects may include dry, irritated, flaking skin. These side effects are worse in the first 2 weeks of application. As your skin adjusts to the medicine, you can apply it more frequently.
• If you notice an increase in flaking, it’s OK to take a break for a couple of days.