Should I Apply More Tape or Leave It Be? Will It Affect My Healing? (photo)

I had surgery exactly a week ago on my breasts. I has 450cc put in both breasts and had a aerola reduction on my right nipple.My doctor placed tape all around the nipple but after several showers the tape fell off. Was this tape necessary for the healing process? I have been reading that in cases like these the tape should be kept on for at least another six weeks. I have my post-op appointment later in the week but I'm worried it might affect the healing and looks of my nipple.

Tapes on wounds after breast augmentation with areolar reduction

+2

You suture lines look great.  Ask your doctor if you can start wearing SCAR TAPE.  Once the wounds no longer weep silicone-based tape can help make scars softer and less visible.

To tape or not to tape

+1
Your incision appears to be healing well however, at one week post op you are still prone to separation. I recommend that you contact your surgeon and ask what he recommends. I personally like to keep the incisions taped for 6 weeks conversely; every surgeon has his or her own preference.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Taping breast surgery incisions

+1

there is no real answer at this point, your incision seems to be healing well but it is only one week old and prone to separation still. I recommend that you contact your surgeon and follow what he recommends. I personally like to keep the incisions taped for a couple of weeks but every surgeon has his own preference in this regard.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Should I tape my breast? (photo)

+1

No, you should not apply more tape yourself.  Dial the phone number of your surgeon's office, and repeat your question on the phone.  He/she did a great job, the area shown looks great for one week.  The applicability of general information collected online to your specific situation is limited compared to specific guidance you will get from the surgeon who performed your procedure.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tape on incisions

+1

While I can not prove that taping the incisions for extended periods is beneficial, in my experience I think that it may help.  I prefer patients to tape for 6 weeks.

Incision tapes stay about one to two weeks after breast surgery

+1

We apply wound tapes often called steristrips to the incision lines after breast surgery, and apply them with an adhesive so they remain in place one to two weeks. This covers the incision and makes showering easier. If they have come off early soap and water over the incision is still fine, and a light cover over might make your bra more comfortable.

Should I Apply More Tape or Leave It Be? Will It Affect My Healing?

+1

In my practice I like the steristrips removed as early as possible. So best to ASK your chosen operative surgeon his/her protocols. 

Tape on your scar

+1

Your scar looks quite normal for this early after surgery.  Discuss the need for more tape with your surgeon.  Your question could be managed simply by a call to his/her office.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon