Can I Apply Moisturizer After Applying Retin-A-Micro .04% ?

I've read conflicting reports that it can deactivate the medicine. Is it ok to moisturize with Micro after application ?

Moisturizer after retin-a micro

Moisturizer can be applied before or after the application of retin-a micro.  I frequently will even suggest the product be mixed with a bland moisturizer such as cetaphil, then applied, to reduce the potential for irritation/redness/peeling.

San Diego Dermatologist

10672 Wexford Street
San Diego, CA 92131

Moisturizer used with Retin A and general recommendations

I recommend using a very thin layer of Retin A on the sundamged area at bedtime, which can be combined with a moisturized to reduce the inherent drying effect as needed. I also recommend taper the Retin A to every other or every third night if the side effects are to much. Also, used Retin A only 9 months, non summer months, this gives your skin a break and reduces the thinning and capillary appearance that can develop by over using Retin A. Remember, too much of a good thing can be bad.

John H. Hunts MD, PhD
Eugene Oculoplastic Surgeon

2550 Willakenzie Road
Eugene, OR 97401

Elevase Moisture Booster with Retin A

When on Retin A, we advise patients to use Elevase Moisture Booster at least once daily to moisturize the skin. Elevase contains powerful Opti-Ceramides. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Moisturizers with Retin A

As topical retinoids can initially cause dryness and scaling of the skin, many patients can incorporate a moisturizer into their skin care regimen to minimize these effects.  The efficacy of the retinoid should not be diminished and it allows the patient to continue using the retinoid as the skin usually develops tolerance to the irritation.

Anthony Perri, MD
Houston Dermatologist

9305 Pinecroft Dr. Suite 305
The Woodlands, TX 77380