Can I Apply Latisse over Tretinoin? Is It Safe?

I use tretinoin for small wrinkles. Was wondering if it is okay to apply latisse to help my eyelashes grown.

Tretinoin (Retin-A) and Latisse together? No problem*

+2

Latisse, the only FDA-cleared product to geom longer darker and fuller eyelashes, is applied to the skin at the base of the eyelash hair follicles of the upper eyelid. You would not be putting TRetinoin in the same area so it should be OK.

Latisse and tretinoin

+2

Tretinoin (Retin-A) is used commonly for fine lines, skin texture, acne, age spots and collagen stimulation.  It is not commonly recommended or used on the eyelids where Latisse would be applied.  Latisse should be applied to a clean upper eyelid at the lash margin...like you would apply eyeliner.  So, there really should be not reason you couldn't use both products, if you are using them as indicated.

Dr. Grant Stevens         

Grant Stevens, MD

Can Latisse and tretinoin be used together

+2

Usually tretinoin is not applied to the upper eyelid, which is the only place Latisse is applied.  If the two don't overlap, it's fine to use both.

Both tretinoin and Latisse can cause some irritation of delicate eyelid skin, so I would definitely not recommend using both in the same area.  Moreover, applying them both to the same area can spread the Latisse and you may get hair growth where you don't want it.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Tretinoin and Latisse for Eyelids

+2

Tretinoin should not be applied to the eyelids! There have been reports of eyelid skin tightening so much it pulls the eyelid away from the eye and you can only imagine how uncomfortable that would be. So use your Latisse on your eyelashes and use the tretinoin cream everywhere else but on the eyelids.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

What are you doing applying tretinoin AND latisse to your eyelashes?

+2

What are you doing applying tretinoin to your eyelashes. This is supposed to be kept away from your eyes. Have you discussed this with your ophthalmologist?

Can I use Tretinoin and Latisse

+1

Latisse is applied to the upper eyelid margin while Tretinoin should not be applied to the eyelids.  This will cause dryness, redness as the skin of the eyelid is very thin.  Additionally, the retinoins are not formulated for application of the eyes and may cause burning and irritation.

Sandy Feldman, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

Tretinoin not used on upper eyelids

+1

Tretinoin, a vitamin A derivative, is used for the treatment of photoaging, brown spots, fine wrinkles as it causes new collagen production.  Although this is widely used on the face with a pea-sized evening applicaiton, I specifically instruct patients to avoid use around the eye area and corners of the mouth.  The delicate skin of the eyelid is easily irritated, and tretinoin is likely to cause an inflammatory reaction.  Latisse is to be used on the upper eyelash line nightly--therefore, one should not be used in the same area as the other.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse and Tretinoin do not normally mix

+1

Usually, you should not use Tretinoin on your upper eyelids so there should be no interaction with Latisse.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD