Is It Okay to Apply an Antibiotic Ointment Inside and Outside my Nose After Rhinoplasty?

My nose wasn't that swollen when my nose cast came off, however, after the doctor applied this antibiotic ointment inside and outside and nose and it seemed to have gotten my nose very swollen. To add, I'am suppose to apply this ointment inside my nose along the nostrils but I have been applying it inside and outside because I thought maybe it will help the healing process. Do I need to apply it in heavy doses inside my nose and outside? Or leave it alone and let my nose do its own thing?

The swelling of your nose after application of antibiotic ointment could be neomycin sensitivity.

+2

Around 5-10 percent of the general population is sensitive to neomycin which is the active ingredient in Neosporin. If you're sensitive to this, that could explain the swelling after it's application. Ask your surgeon what antibiotic ointment he prescribed, and let him know your response.

I hope this is helpful for you.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotic Ointment to Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Antibiotic ointment can be applied inside the nose after rhinoplasty to prevent or minimize crusting along incision lines. It would be inappropriate for me to recommend post-op treatment immediately after your operation - ask your surgeon.