Tummy Tuck with Partial Hysterectomy?

I have an enlarged uterus and have never had children. I am having juts that removed. I want to know if I should have a tummy tuck during or after the partial hysterectomy? Will my tummy be all flabby and out of shape after the surgery if I don't have a tummy tuck? Do you have weaker stomach muscles after the partial hysterectomy? I am in fairly good shape. I am 38 years old, exercise and it good physical condition. I am 5'6 1/2 and have a medium frame. I weigh 155.

Tummy tuck with partial hysterectomy

+1

This is a very popular procedure combination.  One must be an appropriate candidate.  Ask your Gynecologist if he/she thinks you are an appropriate candidate. Then ask to be referred to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  The Plastic Surgeon will also determine if you are a candidate for the tummy tuck, and further if this can be combined with another procedure.  

Combining Tummy Tuck and Hysterectomy?

+1

Although this combination is done as seen by some of the answers on the board, I personally feel that It should not be performed. Some of the classic studies that were done in our field have pointed to a higher complication rate especially with pulmonary embolism, which is one of the most serious complications that can come about from a tummy tuck. I believe the when gynecological operations are combined with an abdominoplasty there is an intolerable higher risk of infection as well. So my strong advice is to do the hysterectomy first followed by the tummy tuck in 3-6 months. Safety is more important than convenience.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

Tummy tuck with hysterectomy?

+1

Without pictures, it is really hard to say if you need a tummy tuck. You say you have never had children.  Have y ou had a large amount of weight loss?  These are the two conditions that most commonly lead to the need for a TT.  Just having an enlarged uterus alone may or may not cause enough stretching that you will need a TT. I would ask your gynecologist if he or she thinks doing a TT at the same time is advisable.  If so then ask for a referral to a plastic surgeon.  Some studies show increased risk with doing both operations at the same time, but in a young healthy individual such as yourself, these are minimal, and can be accounted for with antibiotics and devices to passively pump the blood in your legs while you are under anesthesia. Again there is no sustitute for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Yes a tummy tuck can be combined with a histerectomy.

+1

You ask if you will have a flabby tummy following a hysterectomy. If you do not have a flabby tummy now a hysterectomy will not cause you to have a flabby tummy and you will not need a tummy tuck. However, if you have excess or loose skin now then you could have a tummy tuck at the same time as your hysterectomy and benefit from a single down time period.

Patty K. Young, MD

Tummy Tuck and Hysterectomy together...it is possible

+1

Tummy tucks (abdominoplasty) can certainly be performed during the same setting (i.e. the same anesthesia) as a hysterectomy. It is important that you be a good candidate for the tummy tuck; only your plastic surgeon can make that determination.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Increased risks when combined

+1

Your risk of the bigger complications increases several times when you combine a tummy tuck with a hysterectomy. I would wait 3-6 months and then do the tummy tuck afterward. This is the less popular but safer plan.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Combining a Tummy Tuck with Gynecological Surgery

+1

Combining a tummy tuck at the same anesthetic as some gynecological procedures can be a way to get two advantages from a single downtime. It is important that safety be the most important consideration so it should only be considered when the patient is in good health, is  not overweight, and neither procedure will take an extened period of time.  If both gynecologist and plastic surgeon confer ahead of time  and agree that this is in the patient's best interest then  it can work out well.  Some patients are not particularly happy about having a needed hysterectomy.  The prospect of improving their abdominal contour at the same time may make the process more acceptable. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Tummy tuck with hysterectomy

+1

While I have performed this combination numerous times with many different gynecologists, there are some caveats. Nearly every patient has been referred by her gynecologists so it is best if your gynecologist has trust in and has worked with your plastic surgeon since your gynecological concerns takes precedence. Also, your plastic surgeon should evaluate you separately as far as appropriateness of the body contouring procedure and your present level of fitness and weight stability. Your plastic surgeon should advise you of the protential additional risks, if any and should provide alternativr approaches to your problem (i.e. full vs. modified vs. mini +/- liposuction with or without muscle tightening. Good luck.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tummy Tuck & Hysterectomy

+1

Some plastic surgeons and some gynecologists prefer not to combine hysterectomy and tummy tucks.  The is an increase in the frequency of complications when the procedures are combined.  Other surgeons are willing to perform the procedures simultaneously.  The advantages in combining the operations are a single down period and recovery as well as usually some economic benefits.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

yes, this can be done together. typically no skin is resected to a hysterectomy, so the skin should not significantly change after such a surgery. If the surgey is done through the abdomen, then it may in some cases lead to a weakened abdominal wall. this may not apply, if done vaginally however. you should ask all such questions. typically the ob/gyn can recommend a surgeon who is able to do a combined case. sometimes, the cost associated with doing a cosmetic procedure in a hospital setting can be expensive.  You may want to know most of the upfront costs ahead of time so you are not surprised by the bills.

Good Luck

Shashidhar Kusuma, MD
Plantation Plastic Surgeon