Appearance of Huge Bump Post-revision Rhinoplasty (On a Previously Straight Nose Profile)? (photo)

I had a revision on 1/29/13 and unfortunately have an infection in my left nostril that is currently being treated. I had an ear graft used in the tip and mid-nose and I had an infected graph removed from my nose last week, 1.5 weeks post-op (1 graph removed out of 3 in the tip). My question is this: I had a straight profile before the surgery and have had a growing bump since cast removal. I am embarrassed to go outside, am extremely depressed, and my new job stats soon. What is this bump?

Bump following revision rhinoplasty

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear about your infection following surgery. It is not uncommon for swelling to increase a bit after removal of the cast. 1.5 weeks is still very soon to assess the status of your nose. It can take up to one year before the final result of surgery is evident. In general, the side effects of rhinoplasty may include the following:

1) Swelling
2) Asymmetry
3) Irregularities

WIthout examining you, it is difficult to say whether or not the bump is due to swelling. I would recommend waiting a bit and seeing how you continue to heal. Your surgeon should be able to address any immediate post-operative concerns. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is too soon to judge your result only 2 weeks after Revision Rhinoplasty.

+2

If you had an infection 1.5 weeks post-op that required another nasal surgery, you would be more swollen than usual. I can see that this bump is getting you down, but you should wait another couple of months before getting concerned.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon