Anxiety Post Op?

I am 5 weeks post op from my cheek/neck lift. I am having a lot of anxiety. My GP put me on a low dose of xanax 3 weeks ago but it still seems to be there when I try to lower the dose. This also happened to me after a surgery 10 years ago. Strangely it did not happen after a knee surgery 3 years ago. Could this be some sort of reaction to the type of anesthetic used? I don't usually have anxiety. Is this something anybody has seen before? I want to feel like myself again. Thanks!

Post-cosmetic surgery anxiety is more common than you realize

+2

Patient5555: Many elective surgery patients experience post-op "blues", even in the absence of complications.  Patients don't recognize the reflection in the mirror because of temporary changes: swelling, bruising, early scars, disruption of your regular regimen, etc.  Facelift patients are  extremely "vulnerable" not only because their results are on full display but also because they may feel sensitive and/or guilty about having initiated a change.  Do realize that there are resources which you can and should utilize; in rank order, your PS, your GP and +/- a psychologist or psychiatrist who is experienced and interested in the care of cosmetic surgery patients.  In France, all patients are screened twice, by their GP and a psychologist, prior to being referred to a PS, however since you are in the grips of anxiety, do ask for help and realize that given your prior experience, this too shall pass. Good luck.

Postoperative anxiety

+1

Anxiety after plastic surgery is not common but certainly does occasionally happen.  It is often difficult to tell who will experience this- I have seen very confident patients have postoperative anxiety issues and some patients who are very anxious before surgery sail through without a problem.  The good news is that even the most anxious patients I have seen have ended up fine and happy with their surgery and results.  

Anti-anxiety medications are very helpful, and sometimes a visit or two with a therapist can be a tremendous aid in alleviating stress.  At this point in your recovery, this is the recommendation I would make.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety after facelift

+1

This can occur to some people after surgery, especially after a facelift. I see  you have tried medication and this has helped. perhaps you should try other things. Have you tried working out to get your mind off it? Also, you should begin to socialize and do other activities to free you mind..get well soon.

Web reference: http://www.drbustillo.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety after surgery

+1

Sorry to hear about the anxiety you are experiencing following your procedure. Your anxiety is not likely the result of any anesthetic. I would recommend an evaluation by a board certified psychiatrist to determine the cause of your anxiety, as it should not persist following your initial recovery period. In general, a little bit of anxiousness is not uncommon before and after surgery. For anxiety, I typically give patients one of the following prior to surgery:

1) Valium
2) Xanax

In my practice, I have not seen prolonged anxiety following the patient’s recovery. But not to worry, it is something that can be treated and should improve over time. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/surgical-procedures/neck-lift/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety after an operation is psychological and not related to the anesthetic.

+1

The anesthetic agents used for your surgery were out of your system a day after the operation. Any anxiety you are experiencing now is psychological.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/

Anxiety after Facelift

+1

Plastic surgeons frequently see depression and anxiety after many types of procedures, but, at 5 weeks, you should be feeling better.  I would agree with others to see a psychiatrist who will be more familiar with symptoms and diagnoses and will be more familiar with SSRIs, mood stabilizers, and anxiolytics.

Anxiety after face lift

+1

Face lifts often create intense anxiety -

• our faces are bruised and swollen,
  • it is hard to believe everything is ok,
  • surgery is tiring, so it's hard to bounce back
  • surgery makes us vulnerable - and can revive painful memories. So -
  • discuss your worries with your plastic surgeon as well as your GP
  • Wait a full 6 weeks and if no better, consult a mental health expert.
  • If you're worried about your result - get a second plastic surgery opinion. Hope this helps!

Prolonged anxiety following a facelift

+1

Some degree of depression or anxiety is not uncommon after any surgery.  It is usually short lived.  Xanax treats the symptoms of anxiety but not the underlying cause.  If you are having difficulty sleeping and performing the tasks of daily living then you may need to be evaluated by a psychiatrist.  You may need to, at least temporarily, have your medications changed or altered.   

Post Op Anxiety

+1

I would encourage you to see a psychopharmacologist.  This is a psychiatrist with fellowship expertise in psychoactive drugs.  This honestly is a much better resource than your GP who may know one or two drugs.  Generally a certain percentage of patients have a mild clinical depression after surgery but it can also be an anxiety disorder or a even some form of psychosis.  Whatever the basis for your feelings, even if the episode is short lived, it is unpleasant.  Get real help for this.  This will help you feel better faster.

Anxiety Post Op?

+1

I have performed Face Lifts for 25 years and honestly, some degree of anxiety and or crying is very common after traditional Face and or Neck Lifts.  Most often this occurs during the first month but it can occur later in the post op course.  I personally feel this is due to the prolonged bruising, swelling, lumps and bumps associated with these more invasive Face Lifts.  I say that because for the past 7-8 years most of my Face Lift patients have opted for a less invasive, smaller incision Face Lift which does not seem to create that level of anxiety.  I believe this is due to the limited bruising, swelling and downtime associated with these minimally invasive Face Lift variants.  

I suggets that you discuss any concerns that you may have over your post-op course with your Face Lift Surgeon and once you're convinced that you are on the right healing course...allow yourself time to heal inside as well, taking comfort in the fact that you are not alone.  Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/PalmerCelebrityLift.html