Need To Take Flight After BBL, Should I Get Anticoagulants From My Doctor For The Flight?

Should I get anticoagulants from my doctor? I am having lipo, a bbl and then need to take a flight back home of 11 hours.

Brazilian butt lift and anticoagulation

+5

I always recommend my patients to be active after a Brazilian butt lift. You should stay in the area where you had the procedure done for at least 7 days to make sure that everything is going well, your pain is well controlled, and that you are in good condition to be on a flight for a long period of time. Clots do not typically occur on healthy patients after surgery unless the patient was not active after the procedure. Immobility after surgery increases the risk of clots after surgery due to the pooling of the blood in the larger vessels of your leg, thus setting the stage for a cascade of events that result in clots. Most patients after a Brazilian butt lift do not complain of significant pain. If your pain threshold is low, then, this needs to be addressed before your flight so you can move around without significant problems.

Anticoagulation in a healthy patient is currently controversial. There is consensus by most surgeons that patients with high risk for clots should have anticoagulation prophylaxis. On the other hand, cosmetic patients usually do not have significant risk factors to justify anticoagulation. Nevertheless, I sometimes use certain medications, such as Lovenox, on a patient-to-patient basis. For example, if I notice that the patient is not very active, pain threshold is low preventing the patient from moving, or if taking a long flight after surgery among others, I will suggest anticoagulation. Remember it can be a catch of 22 because anticoagulation can prevent clots but can also increase the chances of bleeding.  In addition, anticoagulation needs to be done for two weeks after surgery since it is well known that you can develop a clot even in a period ranging from 10-14 days after surgery.

I recommend my patients to stay at least a week after surgery in a local hotel for various reasons. Removing the large amount of fat that is required to augment and shape your behind may have some problems with fluid retention, blood clots, and orthostatic hypotension (blood pressure drop when you stand up. In addition, although pain control is not typically an issue, it is extremely necessary for the patient to be comfortable. The patient should stay overnight with a nurse to make sure that there are no health issues in the critical first 24 hrs.  In addition, you will have drained on your lower back, which will be removed within 7 days. 

There have been reports of patients that have not had any surgery but have developed a clot while traveling due to prolong sitting and immobility.  Although rarely, there is a slight risk for patients who have undergone surgery of having this type of problem.

Other things that I  recommend you to do the following when traveling a week after the surgery:

1. Go to the restroom a few times and stretch your legs. Move, move, and move! Don’t fall asleep during the whole flight.

2. Use a cigar-shape pillow under your thighs to avoid direct pressure on your buttocks.

Blood Clot and Brazilian Butt Lift Unlikely

+2

Interesting question.  If you are taking your long flight a week or so after your procedure then the answer is no.  You should be moving about sufficiently to prevent any stagnation of blood in you legs.  If you are flying several days after surgery then the answer in my mind should still be no.  First you should not take trips in the early postoperative period.  Your surgeon may be rendered helpless if you develop a complication and you are far away.  Secondly, BBL has not been associated with DVT (blood clot).  

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Brazilian butt lift and anticoagulants

+2

The question of anticoagulants after surgery is a controversial question. Anticoagulation with cosmetic surgery preoperatively and postoperatively is beginning to be considered by many doctors. A consensus answer for anticoagulation after surgery has probably not been made at this date.

Clot formation with surgery is thought to began at induction of anesthesia so treatment with anticoagulation may be best to be given prior to surgery. The 2nd risk for clots formation is a patient who was ill after surgery stays in bed and does not move.

Being active, moving the feet walking around is a way to prevent clot formation. On your flight get an aisle seat and get up and walk to the bathroom often. Tap your feet during the flight in order to get blood flow while you're sitting. Discussed anticoagulants with you Dr.

Wendell Perry, MD