Is It Possible to Have Another Tummy Tuck Less Than a Year After the First?

Is another tummy tuck possible? I had 12-1-11/TT & hernia repair.I had belly button trouble(drainage,not closing)since.In May,some braided green sutures out through my bb.In July I was packing the wound/his term/abcess & was on 10 day antibiotics.It seemed to finally close..now I have a protusion-green thread coming out of my BB (no longer "closed").I am afraid DR will yank the suture again & bellybutton will never heal. Are dissolvable internal sutures effective & is another TT possible?

You have infection involving permanent suture

+1

Thank you for the question.  It sounds like you have had an ongoing infection involving what is likely ethibond suture (permanent suture).  You will likely heal best by going in and redoing the entire tummy tuck since the ethibond sutures are often used to tighten the abdominal wall.  A prolonged infection like the one you describe is also likely to have developed a pseudobursa which will have to be removed.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/tummy-tuck.cfm

Clean wound required before another tummy tuck

+1

You descibe green drainage from your wound and the sutures protruding from your belly button.  You need your wound opened, debrided, the suture removed and allow time for the wound to heal.  Certainly, you would not want to do a tummy tuck at this time.  Once the wound is clean, then it can be surgical closed if needed or a revision of the tummy tuck.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Healing problems after tummy tuck...when to revise?

+1

You sound like you are "spitting" another green suture, and this may be a permanent "Tevdek" suture that should be removed.  Many or most plastic surgeons use permanent sutures to repair the fascia and any hernia.  If you have exposure due to skin loss or delayed healing, the suture may lead to recurrent infections.  The suture(s) should be removed, you should have complete healing with no problems and no recurrent infections for at least 6 months or even longer, and then you could proceed with whatever tummy tuck revision is indicated.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/abdominoplasty-surgery.html

Healing problems following a Tummy Tuck

+1

All surgical procedures have potential complications and risks associated with the operation.  A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is a major procedure with a higher complication rate because of the extensive nature of the procedure.  It is not uncommon to need to return to the operating room for a "revision procedure", not necessarily another tummy tuck.  Discuss with your plastic surgeon the costs of this revision and what you will be responsible for covering.  In my practice all cosmetic procedures that I perform nclude no charge revisions if necessary. You definitely will need a return to the OR with the problems that you are experiencing.

Good Luck.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+1

You definitely need to get those sutures out. That is probably what is preventing the healing. After they are out and the wounds well healed for several months, you can be evaluated for more surgery if it is necessary.