Do I Need Another Tummy Tuck or Will Lipo Fix This? (photo)

I was over 400 pounds and I loss over 200 pounds with eating right, watching DR.OZ and working my ass off to sweat everyday but sundays lol. I had massive amount of loose skin and I needed it out of the way. I was getting sores under it from working out. It was also very heavy to carry around. So my doctor said he would remove it and felt even though I wanted to lose another 50 pounds it was fine. I am not happy with the look. I still have loose skin over my scar. WHY? and would lipo fix this?

Will Lipo Fix This Or Another Tummy Tuck?

+1

You have done an amazing job with your weight loss!  Congratulations!  From your Pre-Op photos it looked like you had quite a lot of skin that may have gotten in the way of continuing toward your goal so a Tummy Tuck was the appropriate first stage, knowing that you may need a secondary Tummy Tuck after more weight has been lost.  Liposuction will not do anything for the additional loose skin and may make it worse if done alone, but may be nice for contouring with your secondary Tummy Tuck.  If you have more weight to lose to get to your goal and it's a realistic goal, I would recommend waiting until you are as close as possible and then discuss the next steps with your surgeon.  Again great job!!

Irvine Plastic Surgeon

+1

Over the internet even with excellent posted photos very hard to tell. My guess is a secondary TT could be done. Seek IN PERSON opinions why not return too your surgeon? 

Options after abdominoplasty

+1

First , congrats on your hard work. I think that your TT result is generally good but does need refinement. Unlike the other answers I feel that the problem now is Xs fat under the skin and not pure skin laxity . You would benefit from a thorough liposuction of the abdomen and flank areas , preferably with VASER to maximize skin tightening .

This may not be true after 50 more lbs of wt loss . We'll have to wait and see . You may need only lipo with revision around the incision to tighten skin as much as possible

Algird R. Mameniskis, MD

+1

This is what I say to every new patient:

"Remember it's surgery, not magic."

You need to keep in mind where you came from.

Here's something else I often say:

"You are not a one-stage patient. In an ideal world we would bring you back after six months and do more work. Since the world is not ideal I'm going to do my very best for you in one operation."

But remember: it's surgery, not magic.

As to your question: I'd really need to see you in person to know whether liposuction alone would get you where you want to go.

I recommend you have a chat with your surgeon, who appears to have done a very nice job.

All the best. 

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a second tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. Although your results are not perfect, you have to remember where you started from. With massive weight loss patients, like yourself, there's a secondary relaxation of the skin. I discuss with all my prospective MWL patients that they will need more than one operation to achieve the desired result. You will benefit greatly from further contouring with liposuction. I would advise to have your arms done as well. The large arms are not in harmony with the rest of the body. Talk to your surgeon, I'm sure he/she will be able to help you reach your desired body contour. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Residual Skin After Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

+1

First I want to congratulate you on your hard work and dedication to lose all of that weight. It is the first step towards the rest of your life. I always like for my patients to lose as much weight as possible prior to surgery because I feel the best results are obtained that way in my hands. Being that said you appear to have a great result. It is always difficult as a surgeon to remove all of the extra skin and fat to a patient's desires. There are limitations as to how far one can go. Liposuction is best used when the quality of the skin is not stretchy and has good potential to contract down after the procedure. Your surgeon should be able to assess the quality of your skin and guide you. So to answer your question you may benefit from additional liposuction for contouring but i would wait a good 3-6 months out from your procedure. You look great. Please continue you newly adopted healthy lifestyle because it will only enhance your surgeon's work and give a better result long term.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Residual skin after tummy tuck

+1
I agree completely with Dr. Hughes. With such an enormous weight loss and excess skin apron, the result is to be expected. After you have reached tour goal weight, a secondary tuck would be beneficial. Liposuction will only exacerbate the problem. Congratulations on the amazing process you have made!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck with extra skin left over

+1

Just like your weight loss, which happened progressively, surgery during the process can be staged.  Looking at your result, two things seem pretty evident.  1.  You benefitted dramatically from your surgery and 2. There was always going to be more work to be done when your final weight was obtained.  Losing 50 pounds without some extra skin is very unlikely, and as much as one might desire to avoid a second major surgery, it is likely.  At that point, you will be down 250 lbs.  That is fantastic but, unfortunately, carries with it a new set of problems.  Almost everyone who loses that much has extra skin not only in the abdomen, but also in the thighs, arms, back, butt and chest. Liposuction is great at getting rid of stubborn fat, and there is some skin shrinking that happens, but liposuction alone after massive weight loss is rarely satisfactory.  Keep fighting the good fight, keep working on your weight loss and know that, when you get to your goal, there will likely be a plastic surgeon with whom you can develop a good plan that meets your goals and can be done safely.  Seek out a board certified or board eligible surgeon with the American Board of Plastic Surgery if you have not been working with one to this point and keep up the great work.

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or Second TT after massive weight loss

+1

Hello, and congratulations for all the weight  you lost with out bariatric surgery.  Sometimes one body contour procedure is not enough to achieve the desired results. First of all, judging just from the photos,  losing another 50 lbs. seems to be too much  , I can adventure in my opinion, but  trying to lose more weight is valid, though. A second Tummy Tuck, on the other hand is not uncommon in patients who have lost so much weight. I do not feel you would be happy with just liposuction.    All the Best

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Another Tummy Tuck

+1

After you lose your remaining 50 lbs, another tummy tuck could be performed.  I think you did the right thing by getting all of the excess removed.    I think your first tummy tuck was well done and the residual skin is common in massive weight loss patients and will be unavoidable with continued weight loss.  Keep up the good work.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA