Will I Need Another Revision Rhinoplasty in the Future?

I had a revision rhinoplasty early this year to correct a droopy tip and hanging columella. I asked the surgeon to refine the tip and make it smaller and more feminine. I was happy with the way my nose looked after surgery. But it's now been almost a year and my nose is starting to look droopy again. I notice that a lot of women get bigger/droopy noses as they age. WIll I need another revision when I am older or will my rhinoplasty result last?

Will I need another revision rhinoplasty in the future?

+1

Your tip will be turned up higher than normal for the first week or so after surgery. It will then gradually relax to its final position. In general, the nose will droop with age. Drooping of the nasal tip with age can be influenced by how your rhinoplasty was performed. If adequate support was given to you during your surgery, you will not likely experience significant drooping as you age. If you are happy with the appearance of your nose at this time, I would enjoy the result of your surgery and not worry about having any revisions just yet, as it is difficult to tell how things may change. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

I notice that a lot of women get bigger/droopy noses as they age. WIll I need another revision when I am older or will my rhino

+1

While it is true that the nasal tip becomes under-rotated "droops" with age, there's no way to predict how much your particular nose will be affected.  I perform a localized trim of the anterior nasal septum to rotate the nasal tip upward without requiring a full Rhinoplasty if that's all that needs to be done to the nose.  

Nasal Tip Drooping with Age

+1

There are several changes that a nose undergoes with age, one of those being that the nasal tip droops more.

Just like all parts of the body, the nose ages even after rhinoplasty

+1

Nose droop as do jowls, eyelids and other parts of the body. Surgery can pick up a droopy nasal tip, which should last years. But as you age, the nose will also age.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

If you are happy with your nose now, it is doubtful that you will need a revision later. Yes the nose will change with age but not usually terribly significantly.

Aging changes in the nose, Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Generally, there will be very few changes after a year. It is true that with age the tissues of the nose relax, just like tissues elsewhere in your body ( face, tummy, breasts), and the tip will drop very gradually, but that means over decades. To slightly elevate the tip is a minor procedure, that does not require a full revision rhinoplasty.  Nothing should be necessary for many years.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS